A Magnetic Moment in Sewing History

  While today's post is really not about magnets, I think it might be. Magnets are so useful in sewing pursuits and used wisely, can be a great helper. 


I am so happy this Monday mid-February. Why? Because that means we are getting closer to Spring. Quite frankly, after February first, the charm of the Winter crisp air and the occasional snowflake is long gone. 


 A basket of blocks to trim. 


Universal MG1 Magnetic Seam Guide – Keep Sewn Lines Straight & Edges Tight with This Heavy Duty Steel Magnet Mounted Strai...The distinct advantage of a straight stitch only machine (or the ability to adapt the machine sole plate to single stitch) is the opportunity to be more accurate with seam width and to sew faster. However, I have found that when I amp up the speed, my fabric tends to bear to the right when it leaves the needle.  And that, in turn, lifts the incoming fabric a bit away from my scant 1/4 inch marker. I picked up this magnetic seam guide and secured it behind the needle, not in front of the needle, to bank that fabric as it passes beyond the needle into a straight line. Keeping my fabric straight in front of the needle is not an issue. That's why God gave me hands. I think I paid $5.99 US for this little tool.


I don't remember when I purchased this fabric but I think it is definitely Spring! I hope to get to the studio this afternoon to press and finish trimming these blocks. Interestingly, while doing the first trim I picked up one little stack that did not have the border attached. I ran out of bobbin thread and didn't even notice. That machine does not have a low bobbin warning. I need to be more awake. 

 At each work station I use one of these magnetic dishes (available at Harbor Freight, two sizes, much cheaper than the fancy ones seen in quilt shops.)

DIY fabric magnetsA post from 2015 on how to make these little fabric covered magnets for your sewing room, HERE,

 

  • Lady Carnavon's weekly newsletter touches on how we have lost the joy of travel by listening only to our GPS app rather than using a map and watching the scenery as we travel. The blog story, HERE>
  • The coincidence of this post is not lost on me, I have always enjoyed using maps. I traveled this weekend with friends to a Tea House about an hour and a half from home. Relying only on her GPS, my friend the driver, delivered us promptly and accurately to our destination. My last trip to that area, using a map, had me going the wrong way and lost for about 20 minutes before I broke down and turned on  that whiny, irritating voice who did everything but laugh while redirecting me. Darn Technology! 
  • The Wall Street Journal article about many public schools discontinuing their AP classes has had me in a tiz! Seriously? Where is the challenge? Performance based education is the road to intellectual development and success in life.   

065058f7a5199e0a317d4ed72fd3d0d6As a disclaimer, I was only drinking tea when I ran out of bobbin thread, just so you know! Have a lovely day. 

 


 


 

Comments