A Flashback Post, An Antique Applique Quilt And That Quarter Inch Seam

 No photo description available. 

 This is a vintage hand-pieced and appliqued quilt made by a family member of mine. It was a mail-order kit via a newspaper column that shared how to quilt on a weekly basis. Newspapers, of course, were the social media of their day. Now newspapers are few and far between. I have another quilt much like this one, a different flower feature. There are a few areas where directions are still in the selvage area not totally covered by the binding. 

When I married into this family, sewing was my common bond with the women. When they found out that I made my own clothes, I was golden in their eyes! I made just about everything then, except bras. Never learned how to do that. When I started experimenting in quilting I was married and living in Omaha. I had no quilt shop nearby so my fabric was from the large big box fabric store. Not the quality I am used to now, but it worked for me.

If you are a new quilter, coming from garment sewing, or just new to quilting, I am sharing a nice little video by Karen Brown, of Just Get It Done Quilting, to help you define that 1/4 inch seam. Nothing like a little "refresher" to jump-start our creativity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDsNb5hdhDM

  • The sauerkraut is fermenting as we speak. I only made one crock this time, I think I would rather make it more often in smaller batches.
  • Tomorrow I will make some sauce with the last of the tomatoes and pickle the beets I picked up at the mountain farm market.
  • I think that will be the last of the big preservation work, at least for a while. Let someone show up with a bushel of pickling cucumbers and I will be all over that. 
  • You know I have moaned and groaned about the new stove I bought when we remodeled the kitchen in 2019. While shopping for a new washing machine, long story, I saw the same stove but with one oven. I like the model but the double ovens, one very small, and the other too low for me. The new girl arrived the next day and I am very happy so far. 
  • I did manage to clean up the studio, I put away the collection of new products needed for the Christmas Quilt for 2025, some new rulers. Mine were aged, nicked, and ready to retire. A pattern or two that may or may not come to life. Sometimes I see a pattern and I just like to see how one makes that block, or how to change the size of a block. I am not too good with mathematical issues, I tend to graph things out on paper and go from there. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't! 
  • Have a lovely weekend, our leaves are changing, beautiful. I plan to work on the blue and yellow project. I have some of the blocks sewn into a row. It is taking more time because I am pinning, lots of pinning. I get peeved when my blocks don't line up and an unsew is required. Toodles.    

Comments