Popsicles and Icicles-A Scrap Quilt in Progress

In the beginning.........

I am thankful that the Deer do not like to nibble the Coleus. They also dislike New Guinea Impatiens.
While the blooms or the lack of blooms this Summer certainly have been a focus for me, progress with my current quilt is not too bad. I intentionally saved two scrap quilts to use for practice on the new Baby Lock Coronet. There is a learning curve. No surprise there.

What I have learned using this 16 inch mid-arm machine:
  • while I can "float" small items to quilt without basting, anything bigger than 36 inches needs a light basting. For small items I have used a large piece of muslin and batting then "floated" the item to be quilted on top. I will illustrate that in another post, I was so involved I never got around to taking pictures. 
  • This quilt top is 75 x 80 I think. It is impossible to accurately load a quilt like this without basting. The manufacturers represented this clearly on video's but I was sure I could figure out a way to avoid the dreaded basting. I was wrong. I didn't need to intensely baste like I did with the sit-down machine. There was so much movement of the fabric then that I basted every couple inches.  Using the "skewer method" (original post and video HERE!) I pin-basted every 10 inches or so, just enough to control the layers.


  • I have been known to use 800 + pins in a quilt this size, I know, might be over-kill but I never had shifting or wrinkles in the backing despite all the wrestling I did while quilting. I used my good old drop leaf cutting table. This is the one I have kept in the garage because it was bulky and I really had a problem finding a place for it in the studio. With recent events and rearranging it is back, in the way when open for sure but it works. 
  • Using a familiar pattern was my first decision for this one. I deduced that if I used something that I was comfortable with, free motion style, learning the ins and outs of the machine and controlling the amazing speed of the stitching, I might do better. I am moving along, slow but sure. 
  • I can sit down using this machine, (my chair is at it's highest point) I may have it lowered another two inches in the future. I need to consider that. Standing for long periods of time is out of the question for me. That was the reason I stalled before considering this machine. So far, so good. I am not tall, at 5' 3 1/2" sitting down works for me. (ps, I was 5' 5 1/2" just a couple years ago, arthritis and degeneration of the spine has required learning to adapt, it has not been a choice, it is essential.) 
  • The drawback is moving the fabric after each pass of quilting. I am getting better, more efficient, less words of frustration. Time and experience should help that. Until then, plug your ears!
  •  This quilting machine speeds up my process, a lot. Hopefully, I will have it done to show by the next post.
  • It is lonely there for me. This is the first quilt I have worked on without my Lucy.  Not good.
tune of the day..........the colored parts of this quilt reminds me of the colors of popsicles, the white parts...icicles! Please use your imagination.

The Murmaids, Popsicles and Icicles- 1963

Popsicles and Icicles
Popsicles, icicles, baseball and fancy clothes
These are a few of the things he loves
He loves Levis and brown eyes
And wind blowin' through his hair
These are a part of the boy I love
If you put them all together
Much to your surprise (oh tell me what)
You'll find a bit of heaven
Right before your eyes
Bright stars and guitars and
Drive-ins on Friday night
These are a few of the things we love
silly but still he is
Just what I dream about
Yes, he's the boy that I love
If you put them all together
Much to your surprise (oh tell me what)
You'll find
Bright stars and guitars and
Drive-ins on Friday night
These are a few of the things we love
silly but still he is
Just what I dreamed about
Yes, he's the boy that I love
Popsicles, icicles
Popsicles, icicles, hmmm
Songwriters: David Gates
Popsicles and Icicles lyrics © David Gates D/B/A Kipahulu Music

Comments

ELMO said…
Wow, do you feel like you're learning to quilt all over again? It's a whole other set of skills.