She Hates to Baste!

This is one of the first "practice" Jelly Roll Race quilt tops that I made some time ago. It will be a porch lap quilt I want to practice using the rulers for quilting. I have a few that I bought with the quilting machine but have never used. This is the experiment.  
I have tried more basting methods than I can recall but I finally got around to using the "Skewer Method" and guess what? It really is not bad and I must say preferable to my other types. The story is this... I have 4 quilt tops ready to quilt but I have lagged because I absolutely dread the basting process. However, this method keeps that layers snug, wrinkle free and on-grain. Using the board basting method was good but I had some re-do's from a dimple or wrinkle that was not obvious during the baste.
I used my drop-leaf cutting table that I moved into my garage (I know, sometimes sacrifices are required because my studio space is just too crowded.)
I bought these large binder clips at Staples, 8 for about $ 5.00. Smoothing each layer as I clip the binder clips to opposite sides. Equal tension is important.
With my semi-obsessive maintaining the grain line issues I added vertical strips of painters tape carefully measured to assure that I did not distort the grain while pinning.
  I used pins this time. This is a butter knife that I pilfered from the cutlery drawer because it has that little divot in the blade end. I use it to hold the pins as I close them. Saves the fingers.
  • Amelie Scott teaches the process in this VIDEO!
  • This is my new go-to basting method. Not one wrinkle, not one off-grain issue.
  • I might need to clean my garage. I have tucked the cutting table away in there and covered it with an old sheet. Lots of room to work.  

Comments

Jeanneke said…
I am so glad you found this for you best basting method! Enjoy both the basting and quilting processes.
I love the fabric in the pictures. Lovely colours.
Thanks for sharing your courage and never ceasing joy and activity. They are very motivating and inspiring.
Blessings and love,

Jeanneke.
ELMO said…
I am going to have to try this with my niece's quilt, because I definitely don't have space on the floor.