Compare and Contrast

A few days without blogging is an odd sensation for me. I still have some work to do on my computer but had some random thoughts swirling in my wee brain. We are fortunate to have a large Knit and Crochet show coming to our area at the end of March. I am mindful that over the last years of attending ( I skipped last year) I have been caught up in all the beautiful fibers and colors and the general energy of the attendees and vendors. We people are passionate about our yarn. I see young people with a light in their eye and on their faces that only discovering a hand-craft art form seems to convey. Like quilting, it is a passion and is contagious. I have purchased some divine yarns over the last couple years, I have them squirreled away waiting for just the right use. Because they were so pricey I don't want to waste them on something utilitarian or basic or boring. I have some beautiful Alpaca that I picked up four years ago that I periodically take out, admire, re-store. I am just not ready to commit to it yet. Alpaca are precious little beasts. Those eyes reflect and innocence that we humans might do well to emulate.    


[Llama1.jpg]Alpaca, from here.
Over the weekend I attended and "Outdoor" show with family. Not a sportswoman (meaning I do not fish or hunt, likely never will) an event with lots of guns, knives, gear, testosterone etc., is not my likely venue. Give me yarn, fabric, thread. Anyway, looking for something interesting as a take-away they had a nice little petting zoo thing in the back of the convention hall, however, there would be no touching these animals. They were far away from the maddening crowds and some surrounded by floor to ceiling cages. Monkeys need cages as do tigers and wart hogs. Sweet little Pygmy goats and Alpaca were cordoned off and untouchable as were owls, hawks and other hunting falcon. While I suppose that the observation of these animals is supposed to be educational and they were well cared for it seemed, I came away rather depressed and sad thinking that it was a hell of a way to live. It has bothered me all week.  I am not some PETA paint throwing fanatic, but now I will look at my yarns with more respect. 

Well, I certainly hope that I did not blacken your day, but I suppose this all goes back to the current movement of curtailing waste. I am fortunate to knit and quilt with people who are mindful and careful of using resources wisely. I will continue my quest to do the same. I have not bought a clothing item since the beginning of my Mt. Everest Project that started on October 12, 2012. So far, so good.   explanation here.

I am almost done with the intense quilting on the Jelly Roll Marathon. I know my machine well now and since that was the intention with this project I am getting a bit bored with the quilting pattern. Hope to wrap that up this week. I am done making my Granny pillow and I may make another, photo's to follow and I am working on a giant Granny afghan. I have been a busy bee.   

Comments