Friday, October 12, 2012

Personal Challenge, Climbing Mt. Everest With Lady Jane

Photo: The peak of Mount Everest


Welcome, Friday. I have been toying with a new challenge. Several bloggers have started a group to address this issue. They are really committed, signing up, throwing down their personal gauntlet. On a small scale I have made my own decision.
This is a hot topic with me!

Along with my new commitment to reduce my on-line and tech obsession time drain, I have seriously considered a New Challenge. I have been so disillusioned with RTW over the last few years that buying clothing is a frustrating event for me. Fit is poor, construction is ratty, fabrics are cheap and poor quality over all. I recently have been reviewing some catalogs from well known retailers. Some of the elements are lovely, on the page. But the prices! Egad! I am absolutely not going to pay these astronomical prices for marginal RTW.  
Husband thinks my project is a crock!

Where is this going you ask? Inspired by the new Mood Network contributors (some I already know, others not) I know I can do better....if I can carve out the time. Again, back to the time issue. This has been kicking around for a while but because I hate the fact that I have trouble with these commitments, I have been procrastinating.  This is a habit I have been honing for a couple years, this procrastination thing.  Actually it is relatively new to me, never participated before, but it has been a well used tool in my arsenal of excuses.   No more Lady Jane (remember the Lady Jane story? here ) we need to get this act together. Currently there are major holes in the wardrobe that need addressed. Nothing drastic, but I need to concentrate.
Bertie is going to get her fresh padding! Sadly, Bertie still needs her padding!

Fitting issues aside, I have made a decision. I will try as hard as possible to not purchase clothing.  This will exclude undergarments, I am not that brave. My start date is effective today, October 12. I will track my personal angst and frustrations on a separate page on this blog. It is titled The Mount Everest Project. It is sort of a thinking out loud type of project. It is accessible on the blog, under the "Pages" section if you care to look. Wish me luck. I did do this once with quilting fabrics, it was difficult, but I did it. (The day after the year was up, I went to a quilt shop and just picked up two little pieces to finish a project, that's all, didn't go wild!)

PS: I hate doing this kind of stuff because I always capitulate. Wish me luck.

Gratuity Moment: Happy Anniversary to my Son and his Wife. What a great couple!

2 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Well done for taking on this challenge!! Doing it myself I'm finding it didn't take long to change behaviours or the way I think. I wouldn't dream of clothes shopping now, and rarely go into a clothes shop. What's the point after all?! Hope you enjoy it :-)

Corrine said...

Thanks for the positive thoughts and comments! I need all the help I can get. I think that the challenge is the only way that I will use up the stash and stay away from the junk.

Where Did She Go?

They seem to be asking the question....where did she go? She is still here Sewsts! She is returning to her role of full-time nurse and pa...