June is history, July is gone and August is slipping by. How did that happen? Several months ago, when I was cleaning out my odd bins and book shelves, I found something from my past. I thought I had posted about it but I guess I never got around to it. Then Gwen, from All My Seams, posted about debating and then purchasing the Sure-Fit Pattern System. Other bloggers have described and used the system and have had good results. Recently Gwen posted about her first project. You can read the post here
Gwen's First Sure-Fit Project. I was intrigued. So back to the bins I went and lo and behold, look what I found. A self taught Sewist at the time, I thought this was the answer to my needs. I could make and design all my own patterns, how great is that?
 |
| The Perfect Fit-the new and amazing pattern making and fashion styling system! |
Published in 1971, revised in 1974. My question is, is this the pre-cursor to the Sure-Fit System?
I remember ordering this, then packing it when we moved across the country and it had been stored since then, never used.
Oh my.
Really, I am not a hoarder.
The concept is similar, Sure Fit was developed in 1982. Here is a link to the
The Sure Fit Designs Homepage
 |
| From the introduction, the steps. |
 |
| Each of the little pattern pieces is enlarged to your measurements. The patterns are included in the book and you choose the appropriate pattern components. |
 |
| Following the precise directions and using the included cardboard tools the Sewist enlarges and traces the pattern piece. |
The directions for achieving the perfect fit.
How to measure.
 |
| Examples of neckline and collar styles that can be used with the pattern components. |
The special rulers. They are still intact on the last page, never punched out. Remember, they are cardboard.
 |
| Skirt examples, pants, sleeves. |
The measurements for this book are amusing. Please remember 28 years have passed and time, gravity and weight have changed a bit. As I read through the directions I couldn't help but notice that the
example size has a 36 inch hip. Oh yeah, this is going to work!
Another choice is
The Lutterloh.System, A very similar concept and much admired by its users. For now, I will continue with the PIA pin fit, alter and test system. Maybe, after more research I will revisit one of these. * And, by the way, I am not compensated in any way for mentioning these Pattern Fitting Systems in this blog. Just so you know.
Gratuity Moment: I am rather glad I never tossed or donated this little book. It has been a nice little trip down my 1970's sewing history. I gave away the sewing machine I purchased at about the same time, Big Mistake, it was a workhorse and weighed a ton. See why I hold on to stuff?????
Comments