Quilting Inspiration, Fine Art Photography

photo courtesy of my Sister




 Where do you look for inspiration? How can you not be inspired by nature? Some of the most talented quilters I know use nature themes. I have been very geometric in my quilting but I want to do some thing like this flower in fabric, or the white birch landscape. See what I mean, no loss of inspiration here, just little time and limited talent!


There is so much talk on the inter-webs lately about the decline of arts education, particularly in the public schools. Once considered "electives," sewing, photography, design, even music, are all on the block or already gone. What a terrible shame. Even in our private schools in my area the selections are limited. How are our youth to be introduced to the great dimension of life that is art?

While I continue to struggle trying to take a decent picture, the skill of some absolutely amazes me. I know that I need to practice more, to study more etc. But lets face it, I need training, schooling, education. As a quilter, I find such photography an adjunct to design. The color, the composition and the style all fine tune the senses. I plan to re-try landscape quilting adventure sometime in the near future.

There is no doubt in my mind that many of the great artists are born with their talent. Consider Claude Monet, Frank Lloyd Wright, JS Bach, or Yo-Yo Ma. However, an arts education provides the training and talent to those who wish to develop their skills and nurture their talent. OK, off the soap box and on to the tour.

*************************************************************************

While scanning some Etsy shops, I saw great artistic talent on display. For example, in photography, Kari Herer. Can you believe the beauty of her photography? The collection is so original, so saturated with natural color.  Her work is for sale, on her Etsy shop.This reminds me of a small raw-edge mini-quilt I saw recently.
No. 9909 fox and flower ttv
The Photographic Genius of Kari Herer. Photo used with her gracious permission.   See the Collection here:

 *************************************************************************



http://img1-ec.etsystatic.com/000/0/5153560/il_fullxfull.216493357.jpg
What an amazing photo this is. Two of my favorite subjects, Birch trees...regal....etherial...magical. Fog, well, talk about magical! Now this one reminds me of the Landscape Quilt on the cover of a book I purchased last year.
  From the Rocky Top Studio of Allison Trentelman, Visit the collection here. 
This one is on its way to me (((smile)))
*************************************************************************

Pom Pom Flower Macro Photography Chartreuse Green - DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
Stunning color, amazing symmetry, natures majesty in a single bloom. From Vision Fields, a lovely collection is available on her Etsy shop site. View the collection here.   This one reminds me of the famous Dahlia Quilt pattern. Kathy is also a jewelry artist and her work is fresh and modern. kathy's Jewelry site  While I was unable to contact her directly (my etsy link is wacko) she states on the blog that she permits use of her photo's as long as a link has been provided.


Gratuity Moment: color, nature, sunshine, fog, you know what I mean.




Comments

art photography said…
nice photographs.very inspiring
Corrine said…
thanks so much, always looking for inspiration!
Super Bowl said…
I have gone through your blog. This is really wonderful. The information you give is also informative. Likers will definitely like it. http://www.thememoriesplace.com/