Pattern Peek ---- Part #2

I rarely pay full price for a pattern. The last two patterns in this Spring 2012 Pattern collection are Jackets. Jackets are essential for me, even in sweltering weather. In our temperate climate a morning chill is not unusual, a cool day now and then is typical. And for me, commercially air conditioned restaurants and stores are uncomfortable. My arms get cold and I am miserable. I have been making/buying lightweight jackets and cardigans for summer wear for years. They are getting a bit ratty. So its time for an infusion but I want easy fit and easy sew. Without sacrificing style or function and easy care, I chose this one. 
B 5648
 I think this pattern meets several of my criteria. View B, the green 3/4 sleeve jacket in the lower right of the photo is a favorite. With its casual raglan sleeve and pockets it has my name written all over it. View C up in the top left corner is also a winner. Pop that collar and what could be cuter? Described as a loose-fitting, unlined jacket, the recommended fabrications include lightweight poplin, twill, denim, linen and broadcloth. The stash will provide! I will probably use a denim I found in the stash for the wearable muslin. 
V 8732
 One of Claire Shaeffer's Custom Couture Collection, V 8732 is timeless. Described as unlined, very loose-fitting jacket has shoulder pads and tailoring details such as welt pockets and padstitching. Note the belt. There is also a lining option. I have seen a few on-line and in reviews that are very nice with or without the lining option. Now this jacket is a bit more than a quick sew. It also has a good shoulder line. The shoulder-padding supports the upper neck and chest of the jacket but does not add "wings." The Sewist likes that. After all the work required to make this, she needs more than one or two seasons wear. Fabrication? I am thinking a linen blend or maybe something with a little more body to transition into fall.  Again, we are delving into the stash!

Gratuity Moment: Maintaining the pattern/fabric stash. A Sewist's perspective.

Comments

gwensews said…
I'm liking that Claire Shaeffer jacket pattern. You are right-it is timeless. And worth putting a lot of effort into.
Corrine said…
A few years ago a friend had a jacket with this cut. It was in a black velvet. I did some alterations (yuk, yuk, but she was a friend) and have never seen one since. It was Calvin Klein. Very understated and perfect for the way I dress. Very versatile as well.