Still Crazy for the Crazy Quilts

Be still my heart. Can you believe the intricate embroidery, the divine tatted lace and the blue crazy patch background? I think this is a small piece, maybe a pillow or a book cover. But it is delightful, yes? 

 While my own Crazy Quilt project is in dormancy, I thought I would share some photo's of inspirations. What I find amazing is how different artists interpret the style.

   Now I need to add a disclaimer here. I took these months ago on the new fancy pancy camera. They have languished there, on the memory card, since last November. I know, what a shame. I did not have the will or the patience to figure out why I was having so much trouble uploading the pictures. Now sit down, I figured it out. I am so embarrassed to say that I forgot to turn the darn thing on!!! It needs to be turned on and one of the hundred dials has to be turned to some international icon, and you have to spin around three times or something.  As I have mentioned before, it has been a difficult year. OK, now that's been said, lets look at these pictures, that I took from somewhere or someplace unknown.

Obviously copied from a book, this one intrigued me for a couple reasons. First I am always happy to see a center medallion. For some reason my eye reads these well. There is a balance around the medallion in the separately designed blocks even though they are each totally different. Please note the myriad of shapes in the surrounding blocks. some are rounded, some right angle edges all overlapping and disparate. However, because of the center medallion they read balanced to me. Without the center medallion, I don't think so. 

What a great way to use and incorporate small pieces of lace. I never discard lace, eyelet, ribbon or trims. You never know when they might come in handy!

I think this is a rather modern spin on the Crazy Patch block. Lots of buttons, I mean lots. On a small scale, such as a pillow this might work well. I can't see it on a throw, however. That baby would weight 50 pounds. 


Is this cute or what? Itty-bitty little blocks trimmed with some stitching and oodles of little beads. Love it!


Same idea, check out the monogram. I can see this as the perfect little gift for the sewist! 
I am not sure why these are so appealing to me. The colors, the embroidery...not sure. I think of them as being worked from bits and pieces, evolving.
Just look at how the black sashing makes the entire design pop. I think that the black is also bordered by a ribbon or another trim. Stunning!   
I will be traveling at the end of the week and I am going to tote a couple little projects along. I am thinking that one crazy patch block might need to be one of them. I'll have to study it. I packed it away for a while.

Again, I am terribly sorry that I do not know the creators of these pieces to credit. They are really beautiful. Thank you.

Gratuity Moment: the camera and the potential to resume my photography project.

Comments

ELMO said…
The images are from Crazy Patchwork by Janet Haigh, I have always wanted to make one, and it's strange I only have 4 quilt books and this is one of them. Your analysis of the medallion quilt rings true to me, if the patch elements weren't rounded, it wouldn't seem balanced.
Corrine said…
Well, thank you ever so much. I took these right before our tragedy occurred and misplaced the credit information. I don't remember if this book came from the library or a fellow quilting friend. I have seen some beauties, but the center medallion format seems best to my eye.