Little Project-Sewing Kit

First off, I am in my "bear with me" phase this morning because the new Blogger format, that I thought was optional, apparently is not. I don't mind change at all, just not today. Hope this works.

Because my week is in bits and pieces and fits and starts, I needed a portable project. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I discovered and fell in love with a new magazine. It published its first issue 1 year ago and each one seems to get better and better. It is the first periodical in a long, long time that sparks my creativity. I am not sure why except that it is comfortable, familiar, different from what I see on the market now. The name is "Primitive Quilts and Projects."  www.woolenwillow.com     The shop in Williamstown, WVA is the birthplace of the magazine.

the cover photo on the Fall 2011 Issue. 


the keeper, open

the keeper, closed
 Wool fabrics are used in this project, but I can easily see any fabric to be suitable. A quilting cotton, quilted or fused to fusible fleece would be really cute. I like the fold up size on this because it is easy to tuck into a purse or tote bag. Finished size, 7 x 7 inches.

While thinking about how I wanted to use my fabrics, I decided to use a wool Melton that I had rescued from Husband's old topcoat. Beautiful fabric. I also decided I wanted to do a little felting. Need to get some use out of the Baby lock Embellisher.

The patterns are full-sized, one pattern at a time. No resizing, no sorting through multiple, tangled colored lines trying to figure where to trace. The lines are printed clearly and dark so tracing is a breeze. I used freezer paper, my favorite.  

After tracing, I sorted through my wools and chose some brighter fabrics to use for little flower appliques that I cut free-hand for felting. Remember, this is a primitive style so my designs should fit in.
 
the body of the kit, single layer, chalk marks on the fold lines, the little flowers felted into the two large pockets. 
 The felting process is so simple. This is a 12 needle Embellisher and takes about 2 minutes!


The machine uses no thread, just barbed needles to meld the fabrics.



I have so many felting ideas now from this magazine. The primitive style lends itself well to this type of work. 

while I was doing this and had all the pieces out, I decided to make another one. One for travel, one for home, by my chair, always handy. In this one I chose a little wool check for this little flower.
Now, don't laugh. It was a cold day. I dropped one of my little flowers, with camera in hand,  and when I went to pick it up, I snapped my feet. Talk about a fashion statement! Blue Yoga pants, white-white socks and my favorite Marble Red Dansko clogs. Don't all run out and try to copy now. 
I baste-stitched the two layers of wool together on my sewing machine because I knew I would not be working on a flat surface. More to follow and hopefully finish in the next day or so. While moving the older family members to and from Dr. appointments, I can work on bits at a time while waiting. Stitching helps pass the time and keep the anxieties in perspective. Talk soon.

Gratuity Moment: a new wheel-chair for transporting family, new strong tires, comfy seat, folds up easily and only weighs 22 pounds. Really good. 




  

Comments

DolceDreams said…
I love your red clogs! And have been torn between those and the leopard ones :) Felting is so intriguing to me, I wish I had time to try it out...one of these days!
Thanks for sharing your pasta love, I think it has become an addiction in our home too ~
Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!
Nathalie
Corrine said…
thank you so much! I have a shoe problem, mostly everyone has figured it out so I might as well admit it!

felting is fun and easy. you don't need to spring for the machine, (I have a machine problem too) because there are great little hand-felting tools at Joann's and Michaels for under $10.00. My ideas are exploding right now.

Thanks for stopping and commenting, love your blog.