The Modern Quilt Movement-Thinking Out Loud

Hello Quilters out there. I have been trying to do some blog-reading catch up, and I am seeing a theme, a thread, a trend so to speak in the quilting world. It is being referred to as "Modern Quilting." I think I am essentially traditional, however, I have been doing more research and find that I am rather intrigued by the movement. About a month or so ago I read a piece about the movement and the Modern Quilt Guild. (this is the link to the International/National organization) http://themodernquiltguild.com/about-2/

In some ways modern quilts are modern art.
Convergence Print
some people who throw paint at a wall are artists, some are just people who throw paint


I digress, back to the subject. So I found a local chapter, visited their blog site, requested information, still waiting for a response. There are two others in the area, but not even close enough for driving distance. With the weather about to turn nasty, I don't want to be on icy roads late at night. So I have been doing more research and found that the movement in general is doing well, growing nationally, and does explore a totally different type of quilt design. To me, this is very good. Not that I consider myself a modern quilter by any means, however, any quilting is good. To perpetuate the art,  growth and change must occur. While I see mostly younger ladies (and a few men) embracing this new art-form, a few middles and more are delving into this asymmetric, sometimes abstract, design. A quick stop over on Etsy shows just how many quilters have adopted this style and are marketing them. Recent postings at Patty the Snug Bug and Leah Day's sites show the modern style and Leah discusses her take on the movement.
I have mixed feelings. I have seen some beautiful examples at TheTall Grass Prarie Studio  (http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com/2009/11/straight-line-quiltinghints-and-tips.html)
I have seen some on Etsy that appear to be rather amateurish. I know, it's all in the eye, so to speak, but just because matching seams is optional, that doesn't mean there is no design, no flow, no coordination.  I really didn't intend to stir up a controversy, but I think any time a new movement challenges the old ways, controversay may occur.

This modern print by Megan Aroon Duncanson is available at art.com could easily be adapted to a quilt.  A quick scan on that site category of modern art nicely illustrates the possibilities.  While most modern quilting is very geometric, I can see dimensional and textural applications in most.



To read more on this subject Leah Day has a post that explores it well.  (http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2011/11/trying-my-hand-at-modern-quilting.html  ) Patty the Snugbug  (http://pattythesnugbug.com/2011/finished-half-a-quilt-the-top-half/  ) is making her second quilt, a modern design to me. A garment sewer, Patty is experimenting and doing rather well in the design sense.

Gratuity Moment: a few moments spent with some Geese who are so glad they aren't Turkeys. When I find the appropriate USB for that camera I will share the photo's.

Comments

julochka said…
interesting thoughts....i think that modern quilting appeals to me because when i look at the amazing quilts and quilts tops i have that were hand-sewn by my great-grandmother, i feel overwhelmed and like it's beyond both my abilities and my patience. modern quilts seem like they go together very quickly, so they fit my desire to have something to show and quickly. plus, the colors and the fabrics of today somehow fit the modern sensibility.

but maybe it also comes out of a desire for shortcuts...if you begin to look at the blogs of the proponents of the slow cloth movement, you'll really find some philosophies (puritanism?)...i find slow cloth fascinating, but the modern quilting movement is much more "me." call it short attention span, impatience, what you will....but at least we're all making things!

check out denyse schmidt's books and malka dubrawsky if you want some great examples of modern quilts. and have you checked out film in the fridge's work? (look for her on flickr, tho' she also has a blog).

and speaking of film - your new camera is so exciting!! i love that you went out into the fog to take pictures...i'm about to do that myself!

xox,
/j
Corrine said…
I want everyone who sews to quilt. The sensibility of a quilt, any quilt, is the caring that goes into it's making. I look at some of mine and think "dog blanket" because I am surrounded by master quilters, and yes, talk about intimidation! But family members think they are great. I do plan to study and explore more about the process. While I love traditional patterns I am more and more drawn to the colors (gasp) and the design.

And the camera thing, that is your fault. Over the last year or so I have so enjoyed your work. Yesterday, I went to the park and captured some geese roaming freely. I need a USB cable to load them on to my computer, hopefully I will find it today. I have started another blog, OMG, called camera shy. I will document my photographic (non) genius there.