Top Ten Fall Essentials & I apologize for the crazy number sequencing

  1. This  blog is written by an author and native Austrailian lady who lives between London and Provence. Her style aesthetic is flawless. Her blog lists her accomplishments, including two recently published style books. Recently, on August 16th, she wrote about a recent issue of French Vogue where they listed the Top Ten Wardrobe Essentials for Fall. Of course, this provoked thoughts to incorporate in my Monthly Projects. Here is the list: 
  1. The Basic White Shirt. Everyone I know talks about finding the perfect shirt. I prefer a tailored shirt, hip length, set in sleeves and a traditional button placket. Of course, many other styles in whites are always welcome. I thought I found one last year, but after washing the fabric, which had a wee bit of lycra, has a permanent crinkle/wrinkle that does not suit me. It was an expensive shirt, lesson learned. I will make my own thank you.
  2. The Classic Beige Trench. FV recommends Burburry. Sounds good to me, but I think any quality coat is sufficient if Burburry is not your style.
  3. Black Ballerina Flats. I totally agree that one can Never have enough black shoes.
Je t'aime Paris et Paris m'aime!

  1.  4. Jeans, Faded, Straight. Not skinny jeans that appear painted on, not bell bottom or flared at the cuff, but straight, slimming, clean lines.
  1. 5. Killer Black High Heels. I totally agree but that ship has sailed for me. I remember the day I could walk miles in three inch heels and never even blink, now I would cry. My compromise is a low heel, suede and leather I picked up around the Holidays last year. Wore them 2 times, look good, still a bit of a stretch for me.
  1. 6. Cashmere Sweater (s). FV feels that in a round or V neck these are essential. They add that in black, gray and creme one's wardrobe will round out nicely. A cardi or two is also important in my estimation. One caveat here for me, I am allergic to wool. I know, it kills me, but a very high quality cashmere or alpaca can be worn if I drop in a lining or wear a shirt under. You laugh, I line my sweaters. 
  2. 7. The Little Black Dress. Every season, every year this is on most everyone's list. To stretch that concept a bit, another writer (I am so sorry but I don't remember where or when, I read a lot) recommends using Navy, Gray or very dark Purple, Green or Brown. I agree. 
  3. 8.The Sleeveless Shell, or Tank Top as they call it. Tank Top to me recalls cheesie knits with surf boards screen printed on it with the name of the seaside city I happen to be visiting. It also reminds me of bra straps flashing about. Shell sort of evokes my 1990's business suits (visions of blinding headaches here)  but I don't yet have a better name. I'll work on that.  These are really sort of timeless in that they are versatile, easy to make, comfortable with jackets and blazers. What comes to mind is the recently released "Sorbetto" from Colette Patterns or the absolutely charming "Sencha" also from Colette. Their Web Site:  http://www.colettepatterns.com/shop

Moulin Rouge, Paris

  1. 9. The Black Blazer. In your favorite style. Goes with everything.
  2. 10.The Black Trouser, of course. I have purchased a 3 piece suit from a major upscale retailer several times over the years. I actually wear them out, even though I no longer wear them for work. The medium weight wool suiting is great as a suit and as separates. The skirt, usually a straight/pencil skirt is one of the most versatile pieces I own.   
 *as usual, I receive no compensation from anyone for anything
** Photo's courtesey   http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g187147-w2-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#25592946

Gratuity Moment: thankful that I have held my temper while writing this piece that I did not fling my computer across the room because blogger would not let me re-sequence the numbers. No matter what I did, it got worse. The blogger gremlins are playing games with me!






    Comments

    Rebecca said…
    Hmm, I had never thought of a beige trench as a wardrobe staple before, but it does seem it would be quite versatile.

    And for the killer black heels, well I will probably regret wearing them in ten years, but it won't stop me now. :]
    Corrine said…
    Live well, do not regret! The most classic, modern, and stunning accessory a girl can have!