Ladies and Gentlemen...the Rockette

she's here
As I mentioned before, I have been looking for this machine for a very long time. The Ebay vendor described this machine perfectly, shipped it perfectly, she is exactly as described. That said, I spent four hours playing with her and re-learning all her little special properties. Not to bore you with every nuance of this machine, there is something about hearing that gear driven whir when you step on the pedal.

I played around with some muslin to study the quality of the stitch and of course I still got bored. So I searched a drawer full of mis-matched quilt blocks and discovered some blocks I had made years ago. I used to keep a machine at our summer cottage so that when we went there I could sew for days without interruption. I discovered quilting at that time. I think these blocks were the first ones I ever made. It was from a book called "String Quilts" or something like that.  I left the book there when we closed up. Anyway, I never really liked the fabric that much and blocks were all wonky because I had no idea what I was doing. I was certainly sewing too fast, warping the fabric strips. I didn't measure accurately, I think I thought it would all work out in the end...wrong. Anyway, I decided I would use these blocks just to play around with Rockette.


joining triangle's

join two triangle blocks

vintage style iron to go along with vintage machine:)


still a little ripply, but you should have seen it before:)

tea time
scrap backing shows the "meandering" quilting
because the blocks were so warped and wonky I had to cut them down during the square-up. They are now 10 inches square, sort of. I found more scraps of the same fabric and stitched them together for a backing. The binding is left over from another project. The batting was pieced from left overs from the Patriot Quilt. All in all,  not so bad for what would have been tossers, yes?

Would you believe I found more scraps, perhaps a tea cozy? Potholders?  

Sources for Vintage Iron, dry and steam models:

source for Vintage style irons, dry and steam styles: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/Shop
****I have no affiliation or receive any compensation for this endorsement.

Gratitude Moment: small business owner who hires handicapped persons to assist in restoration of Vintage machines.



Comments

julochka said…
very well done for a bit of experimenting w/a new old machine! tell us why you wanted this particular one, other tan that it's quite fetching in its styling?
Corrine said…
This machine has a history with me. When it came out in 1960 I wanted it so bad I tried to save up for it. That didn't happen, I was a kid with big dreams. Then, when I entered nurses training, my dorm had a couple in the sewing room. I used it often. So I have been looking for one, to fulfill my dream, but it was really hard to find one intact and in working order. I got lucky, I am very happy.