My September Opinion Piece: Oh My, Tell Me Why!

 

The Irish Moss gone wild, good girl!

 

A sample of a nice little travel wardrobe that I copied a couple years ago. It is from the The fabulous Vivienne Files, HERE.,  Janice is still posting, using art and jewelry, and many other things, she uses color to define her collections.  I have found her advice to be spot on over the years, and still do. One in a million. Here, the Jeans were purchased, tops copied in lightweight fabric. Motor home travel was always a fairly simple "pack-up" because our life was pretty casual. These pieces had been worn to threads, except the jeans. Sturdy little buggers. 

I am an opinionated person. No surprise if you have visited here in the past. Today my focus is related to garment sewing. I suspected that many here never did sew garments or no longer travel that bumpy road, but in the pursuit of inspiration, I have visited some new-to-me blogs and videos where garment sewing is the main theme. Over all, I will continue to look. The fabulous blogs/vlogs of the past have gone astray. Either by illness or burn out, these talented ladies have moved on. I suspect that many of their sponsors bailed because they were not reaping rewards for their  $25.000.00 sewing machines or their avant garde designs just didn't fly with the population and therefore not enough views to justify the work that running a blog/vlog entails. 


I sort of took a break from this kind of search for some time because there is a lot of chaff out there with the wheat people. Really. Just because you have a sewing machine, doesn't mean you don't need a bit of instruction via in person learning, an online video teaching format, or even a good book. I know that most public schools no longer have a "Home Economics" class, but I have recently learned that one of our local schools now has a great program and quite a few graduates have gone on to more formal training. Of course, there are those who have an affinity for the sport and can move along, self taught and come up with a pretty darn nice garment. Bravo. Tell your Friends. 

Finding a pattern company that suits your overall style and fit block is truly a series of try and try again. I have noticed, over time, that my preferences change almost with each decade. Age, gravity, style, and climate (internal and external) all influence what I wear, what I sew, and how long I keep it.    

This Vogue pattern has been made and remade over the last few years, and guess what, it is back in the queue. This is mostly how I dress except for worship and special events. I need to do a major refresh of the stay at home clothes.

I used to sew essentially everything I wore, except bras. I still don't sew bras but my do not list has changed.

  • no more bathing suits. We were scanning through some old photo's the other day and I had forgotten all those me-made bathing suits. I don't buy them anymore either. That's another story.
  • no more super tailored anything. Except maybe a pair of tailored trousers that I have made before or a favorite jacket. I won't buy the foreign-made fall apart after one cleaning ones either, but I will save and plan for the one I really want. That may mean not this season, or maybe even the next but that's OK with me. I don't even have all the buckram and other super tailoring items I would need to approach such a project.
  • A recent video I watched reminded me of some early sewing journey's. My grandmother was a dress maker and while she didn't teach me much I clearly remember some of her most adamant suggestions. 1.) The best pattern block is a custom one, adjusted regularly for fit. All of her clients had one. 2.) If you are using a commercial pattern, adjust for fit. Do not think a poorly designed pattern made for every size will magically work for you. Why waste your time and resources on a garment that won't fit, won't look good on you, and sits in the closet?
  • Those patterns have fabric suggestions on the back. They are not there for decoration, pay attention. This pattern, this style, is made for a specific type of fabric. No old polyester sheets or grannies former dining room draperies! The cut and drape of the fabric will make or break the project. 
  • And last but not least, dress for your age! Of course, in the 1960's that had NO relevance to me. I was quite thin, taller, and young. Nothing sagged or drooped and short skirts were all the rage. Now, none of those descriptives work for me. Nothing is where it used to be and I am several decades older, thus the remake of the wardrobe. 

So, in the year of our lord 2024 I am much more diligent with my clothing choices. Most of my time is spent at home now. But I do dress for possible visitors, a quick trip somewhere, and even just because I feel incomplete without being dressed. I learned during the pandemic that my spirits were always better if I was officially dressed. I wore good clothes, not painting clothes unless I was painting. I put on just a hint of makeup and just a spritz of my favorite scent which just happened to be Sea of Love by Philosophy. No Chanel or Gucci, just good old Philosophy. 

As we transition this Fall may we examine what works for us and what doesn't. May we wear colors that enhance our complexion, and last of all may we dress and present ourselves to the world we currently live in. Someone once said to me "...put your best foot forward" and we all know I have a shoe problem so that has never been an issue here. Toodles!   

💓A little Oscar De la Renta to smooth out the fashion bumps, HERE! *the best part is bring your dog to work day! The passion, the process, and the people that go into couture fashion! The artists who paint to design new fabrics, to the manufacturer who makes that fabric come alive.  

Comments

Elizabeth said…
I also love Janice of The Vivianne Files, and especially her heroines. I have learned so much from her.
Fortunately Home Ec was available in school when I was young, and I learned to sew from my mother and Mrs Mathews. I enjoyed sewing, but didn’t have much time while working and raising a family.
I have returned to garment sewing in retirement and enjoy making clothing that actually fits! Although fitting is an ongoing process.
Happy sewing.
celkalee said…
Janice is such a giving person. We did have Home Ec. in our schools but my results were not good. My mother didn't sew and family members were too far away. My first was an apron panel, we only had to gather the waist and apply the ties and waistband. Oh my. I should have saved it. I worked as a nurse in a busy intensive care unit, we did not wear scrubs at that time. I made my uniforms because the offerings were not so good. I also made them for some coworkers. Thanks for your comment, I agree, fitting is really the issue for me as well. Happy Sewing to you as well.