For Every Season Something Special

 

 

I think this sweet little arrangement was in place for one of the Tea Parties with the Ladies of the Cloth group. Isn't it sweet?

A conversation with a few friends yesterday left me unsettled and restless. World events have exposed just how quickly our lives can be changed and impacted by the actions of other people. I really don't like to go there but after these talks I decided to do something about it. On my hand sewing tool case I have a little gift from a dear old friend. A friend I met in that Ladies of the Cloth group. She called it a little prayer shawl. I have another one she made that I carry in my apron pocket every day.

 With each stitch, each row, I can provide some comfort in thoughts and prayers for a friend living with the uncertainty of family members in jeopardy. One feels so helpless at times like this. This led me to plan for a new project, a prayer shawl of a larger nature. My research turned up all sorts of things related to prayer shawls and the many uses one can impose upon that piece of fabric or yarn. I found a website that I felt explained the trend was this one, Lion Brand Yarn defines Prayer Shawl, HERE.  Multiple skeins of colourful handdied sock yarn, sock wool, with extreme vibrant colours for knitting socks and other craft projects as a hobby. Ball Of Wool Stock Photo

A few years ago I made one for myself, I often wore it during my morning meditations. At that time I led a Facebook group that followed the Simple Abundance book by Sarah ban Breathnatch. We each set up areas, within our homes, to meditate and pray in our own way. Mine remains but Lola commandeered my shawl. She cuddles with it, makes a pillow of it, and drags it all over the house. 

Long story long, I need to make another.  Balls of Australian Merino Wool Horizontal closeup photo of rows of multi colored balls of wool stacked on top of each other, in a row,  on a display shelf in a shop. Ball Of Wool Stock Photo

 My yarn supplies have thinned. I need to search for a lightweight yarn, not too fuzzy, one that works up well with a simple garter stitch or a crochet stitch that isn't too busy. Simple is the word for me.

 I have lots of this yarn but it's a bit scratchy, won't work for a shawl, just finish the lap quilt with it I  think.

assorted-color textiles

Another site, Yarntique,  with a beautiful collection of crochet shawls in every imaginable configuration, HERE.

assorted-color textiles 

Knitting patterns also from Yarntique, HERE. There are lots of photo's there that are Pinterest available  if you are wanting to build a board for reference.   

*A thoughtful post from Daisy Farm Crafts, HERE delving into all the positive benefits of learning to crochet.  Of course, I extend these to all forms of hand needlework. From embroidery and knitting, to hand stitching quilt blocks or binding, the almost meditative act provides many more benefits than just a finished product! 

  • I am scanning online sights for the "right" yarn but I am thinking that the Alpacca I unstitched last Winter, I'm not sure there is enough though. This will probably be it.
  • Thank You Linda Sue for the little mini's that comfort my thoughts and prayers. 

Comments