Enjoying The Last Month of Summer, Novels, A Cook Book, and TV Series


 I live for the Spring and Summer days. Not to discount the beauty of Fall, but these are the days where I can go outside without wearing a coat and I automatically switch to a lower gear around the end of May. The birdsong, the special color of green in our foliage that we see in May and June, as well as the special scents of a garden damp from fine rains.     

Summer, particularly with our searing temperatures this year, has been a joy. The sunshine almost everyday has brightened every corner of our home, as a result there are  corners have calling out for attention as well! 

Yesterday, I made the first chicken soup since early May. My DIL wanted a freeze-dryer for her birthday this year and she gifted me with her first collection of onion, carrot, and celery dried up little bits. This is not just dehydration, that appliance makes its products into bits that will last for 20 years after it has been packed into vacuum jars or sealed bags with the air removed.  Just re-hydrate with water, broth any compatible liquid. I was not waiting 20 years to test. The soup was excellent. I chose to use my Pampered Chef pressure cooker because it is fast and creates no heat into the kitchen. 

She said there will be more items forthcoming since I am her official tester. I can't wait. As I mentioned recently, we are getting rather bored with our menu. I can't go too far afield, I sense that we are a bit set in our ways. I try to come up with new ideas from my favorite cooks though. She brought Mr. Sewtopia his favorite Moon Pies. They only weigh about 1 oz now, I thought they might float into the air when I opened the lid. We will not be rehydrating them, he says it's like eating peanut brittle. Mmmmmm.....

 Horse: A Novel

My book of the month is, Horse by Geraldine Brooks. Recommended by a friend, this one has really touched me. Horse isn’t just an animal story—it’s a moving narrative about race and art.” —TIME It is all that and more. My very strong opinion about the abuse of racing horses is touched on in this tome. Set in two time periods, it is a very engaging book. 

The Margot Affair by Sanaƫ Lemoine

My next read is The Margot Affair by Sanae Lemoine, recommended by Deb Perlman (cook book author) is a very different read. 

 NEW YORK TIMES EDITORS’ CHOICE “Gorgeous... [Lemoine] writes in lush, lyrical prose that perfectly captures the heightened emotion and confusion of being a young woman with a bruised heart and limited experience. Though the book seems to be about an absent father, it’s more about a tricky mother, and about motherhood in general. It asks the ultimate question about this most complicated of relationships: What will a mother do for her child?”—Sarah Lyall, The New York Times (Daily Review) (full review)

Purchased in October of 2022, this one,  Go-To Dinners: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbookhas been languishing on the shelf since then, not sure why. I have a bit of a thing for cook books and I think it just got lost in the shuffle. What I have discovered is that Ina is another cook who preps ahead. I chop vege and store them in air tight silicone bags in the freezer. I like to do this to avoid spoilage and I like to be able to pop things into a slow cooker or a pressure cooker and then have dinner ready in less than an hour. This is great for pop in guests, after a long day out etc. rather than a horribly overpriced restaurant dinner with over size portion that one brings home, stores for a few days then throws away. Not that I have done this, but just saying. Items that freeze well up to a month in this manner: onions, bell peppers, carrots, cooked pasta, potato casseroles, par-cooked beans, ground meat (mince) etc. 

I just finished watching season 4 of The Chosen. Oh my, what a fantastic series. The creator, Dallas Jenkins, is Evangelical by faith and uses a varied group of clergy as advisors. An Evangelical minister, a Roman Catholic Priest, and a Jewish Rabbi. They also stream summits and round tables with the actors, creators, and advisors. Extremely well done, I am looking forward to Season 5. 

 Jonathan Roumie on his faith and prayer ...  

Next post (if I can transfer the photo's) will be a Tool Time Post. You know I like my tools and doo-dad's!

And last but not least on this beautiful day, I ache and pray for all those living in the tensions of war. My heart is heavy even though I try to distract it. Be well dear readers, we are blessed to live in this country. Till next time....................................


Comments