Flowers of Spring and Burp Pads

 Lilacs, Hydrangea, Roses, Snapdragons, Lilly of the Valley, Scarlet Sage, Zinnia, Gladiolus, Hollyhocks, my Mother was a gardener. She worked so hard to keep her gardens the envy of the neighborhood, and they were. These are my hydrangea from last year, they have not bloomed this year yet. All of my plantings are slow this year, we have had a long cool Spring.   


I recently mentioned baby burp pads. For some time I free-hand drafted a pattern. After a while, I decided to lighten the load, so-to-speak, and purchased the Accuquilt die. What a life saver! By layering the fabrics, right sides together, I can cut one after another with a simple crank of my cutter. Then I stitched around, leaving an opening for turning. I then turn, fold and press the opening into a closing position, then stitch all around the item, making sure to encase that opening fold in the stitching. Thats it! By choosing cute fabrics you have a design for each one. That is the basic one. With some, I use a pre-quilted fabric for one side. For others I embroider a name or little figure on the front piece. By using flannel or a minky type of fabric for one side, baby has a soft little landing spot.     

My Saturday morning was a beautiful gift and now that we are in the midst of Summer, I try to do my little bit of gardening early in the morning. When the sun breaches the horizon, I look forward to my little surprises. I did meet my tomato thief, it is a baby groundhog. I can't tell if it is a Harry or a Hazel and I have no intention of discovering the answer to that one! It really is cute and my tomatoes are not fenced off so what the heck, it has to eat too. Of course, son and DIL have a very prolific garden. Each day I get a delivery, works for me!

I do need to cut herbs again sometime this week, they are very hardy. I may dry this bunch. We will see.

Looking forward to this week involves a trip to our dear veterinarian for Lola's annual check up. Lola loves her and everyone in that office. She goes around greeting everyone, some get kisses. Dr. always tells us that most dogs, after they visit that office once or twice, become pretty skittish. My Lola loves her and doc says it lifts her spirits because Lola loves her. On a side note, vets have the highest rate of depression of all the professionals. She says it is difficult because the sweet animals can't talk to her and she often has to bring bad news. She has even offered to dog sit for us, even let Lola roam the office for a few hours to give the staff a lift.    

I found another New-to-Me blog with lots of interesting and diverse content. The Polka Dot Chair blog, HERE. I've linked you to a post that I found interesting, "The Economy Block." I am still sorting lots of left over bits and my little collection of scrap fabrics. I really like this one because the block has lots of nice angles and the fabrics, depending on how you decide to place them, provides lots of nice dimension. The pattern is for a 12 inch block. That would make up quickly I think. 

Do you have the urge to make a zippered pouch? Hate that $20 pattern that you will use one time? Well I found one for you, HERE from Apple Green Cottage. 

And something a little different, I found a You Tube Channel called Why Not Stitching, HERE. A primer or refresher of lovely embroidery stitches, I'm crushing on the Herringbone stitches. 

That's all for now, I have lots of little projects in the queue some gifts so I won't show them here. In the meantime, a good week ahead for you and yours, Keep on Stitching!

Comments