Bed of Roses, A Brazilian Embroidery Project


Good Morning Dear Sewists. My sweet pink/coral colored begonias greet me every morning as I step outside for my morning coffee. I so look forward to this quiet time before I begin my day. Today I want to share my evening handwork project in its early stages. I made this one years ago, in 1994, as a Mothers Day gift for my mother. I always said I would make one to keep.

The base fabric for that pillow was a sateen finished cotton. The flowers were in three shades of pink and vines with leaves stitched in two or three colors of green with DMC floss. It took about a year to make and I have no idea where it is now. When my mother moved into a partial care facility, I suspect that a family member tossed it. 

The Photo of the finished project by Martha Offut, the designer. (A definition of Brazilian Embroidery HERE, by the very accomplished Mary Corbet. )

It's been a week of contrasts in my porch time. Our temperature has been the topic of conversation no matter where you go or to whom you have a conversation. From the check out lady at the local farm store to the friend with whom you are sharing a sourdough journey (so much about that!) the heat is likely the first shared topic. 

While enjoying my time there I was notified of a dear friend and colleague who had passed. What a joy he was. I was aware of his musical talents but did not know that he was a child prodigy of piano in his home country of Argentina! My relationship with him began when he became the Physician head of our Psychiatry department where I was the Utilization Case Manager.  I recall years of back and forth conversations, occasionally contentions, but always respectful. I learned so much from him, I am truly saddened that the light he brought to this world has been extinguished. In contrast, while drinking my coffee this morning a majestic little humming bird flitted from Petunia to Petunia only two feet from where I was sitting, then in a surprise move it darted within about 8 to 10 inches from my face, looked in my eyes and buzzed in front of me. I was absolutely charmed, he/she was so close I could hear the rather loud drone of his little wings keeping him in flight. A life vibrant gathering nectar and another resting after a life well lived. He was 90 years of age and lived every moment. I was told that his favorite days of his life were spent, with us, working to care for compromised people in our community.


Those of us who share a needlework connection often comment about the destination of our quilts, embroideries, etc. We often lament the outcomes. When we visit a thrift store or antiques shop we see beautiful quilts, samplers, and embroideries, some obviously loved and used while others not used, stored away for "some day." When I was sorting some patterns I found this embroidered rose one again, tucked away for "some day" and decided that day was now.  I remembered sitting in my comfy stitching chair, cuddled in a little lap quilt, stitching away. So again, I will do something I rarely do, and that is making a pattern again. It is partially an attempt to capture a moment in time long before my world was tainted with painful loss. The future was bright and those I loved were all around me. And I needed a project that I could work while changing channels for husband and not live in fear of counting threads!

The Process:  For years I struggled with tracing patterns, any pattern. Sometimes a nice bright window was used and for the last years I used a little plastic table meant for tracing and I put a light under it. It worked but it was small and I had to keep moving the pattern, often loosing the registration marks in the process. A few years ago I did break down and buy a real one. I use it quite a bit and other family members do as well so I justified the price.  Available on Amazon, HERE. It was a few dollars less here than at a local shop and with Amazon Prime shipping is free.

Easy Trace Light Box by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet 2021




I had two pieces of a medium weight Duchess Satin to choose from, this is the off-white with a slight slubbed texture but with the tracing light on it actually looked green. Looking very closely, there may be a bit of a green cast to the weave.

The is the pink Morie piece (French term for fabric that has a water-like stain) with the light on and with the light off.   I decided against this piece because this weave was rather distracting for the pattern, IMO.

This is the off-white slubbed piece with no light on, it looks quite egg-shell in color here. Anyway, this is the piece I chose. Both of these were purchased at a quilt show from a local lady who is an embroiderer of renown. I have had them for about 10 years. 
My favorite tracing pencil, the 0.7 was a bit much, this one seemed to flow easier on the fabric.

The Frixon pen is a definite no. I only use these on med-dark fabrics that can hide the mark if necessary. Just remember to not touch heat to a mark made with this pen or those marks will be with you for a lifetime....in my experience.

These are the corner embroideries which I did not trace, yet. I will wait to see how my tension pulls up the fabric before I tackle these.

An interesting link to explore, I have ordered her most recent book, it should be here in a day or so, 30th Anniversary Heart of the Home, Notes from a Vineyard KitchenIt is my first in her series, the recipes she illustrates in this newsletter (follow the link) look very interesting and her style is so comforting and balanced, I see my porch read for the weekend.

Susan Branch studios, do you know of her magical, whimsical, writings? Take a little look, inspiration like crazy HERE! I have never seen or read a newsletter/blog post like this until I stumbled upon it. I always want to do something spontaneous after reading! This amazing woman has lived such an interesting life, I do pale by comparison. Then I reexamined some of her writings. If we come to look at our lives, seemingly blase' in context, it is likely that we might be able to plug in some whimsy, right? I think of my friends, artistic, educated, well read, wow, they are fine examples of women who are just like Susan Branch. The difference lies in the documentation. Do you journal? I did for years, then because they became so sad and dark, I condemned them to the fire. I'm considering a restart, little things, you know. Bits of this and that. Maybe a doodle or two. Ah, I'm going all mooney again, See you later!   

Comments

marly said…
Never journaled. Would I now? Nope. Too frustrating trying to remember where I left it.
celkalee said…
I now sort of combine my to-do calendar with brief notes. I just don't have the discipline to do that anymore I guess. Your beautiful work is your journal. You are my cross-stitch hero!