NATIONAL SEWING MACHINE DAY! Release the Balloons

 

 Miss Feathers, a 1948 Singer 221. She runs beautifully, her stitch quality is good. I need to gives her a little love and a little workout. Soon.

Did you know that today, June 13, 2024 is National Sewing Machine Day? Not chocolate cookie day, not sponge mop day, but National Sewing Machine Day! I know, if you are a quilter you know that every day is sewing machine day. 

 The Singer "Rockateer" model 500 was purchased from a gentleman in Florida who totally reconditioned her and mailed her to me. She shipped without any issues. She is heavy duty, I even repaired a torn boat canvas on her. Never even a hiccup. Now, her stitch quality does blip now and then. She needs an oiling and a bit of a work out too, soon.

I really like my embroidery machines, I have a couple sergers, and an stand alone cover stitch machine that are essential to garment construction, to me. But right now I am smitten with my Baby Lock Accomplish. A straight stitch only machine that performs like an industrial machine. A perfect stitch possible at 1500 stitch per minute. I lose control at that speed but nothing beats it for sewing long strips of fabric together, hemming draperies, and making cushion covers. Baby Lock has a newer model out now, they call it Accomplish 2. I really can't speak to the difference.

Baby-Lock_Accomplish_sewing-machine_1500-stitches-per-minute-sewing-machine

Where would be without that amazing machine? Still stitching pieces by hand....well maybe not. Taking good care of your machine is work well rewarded because that machine will pay you back multiple times by stitching those perfect seams that hold your pieces together and quilt those layers so that you have a finished object to cuddle in, gift, or share. 

Some of us collect antique machines and others like to keep up with the new top of the line every few years. Considering your needs, how you plan to use that machine, and your budget all determine what machine will become your best friend.


I have several machines, different functions and a few favorite manufacturers. Of course, I have talked about this here often, but I think everyone needs to test drive as many machine as you can to find the best fit. I have antique Singers, several Janome's, Vikings in the wings, and more than a few Baby Locks. It is true I may not be the typical sewist but we each determine our passion, right?

I remember the second machine I ever bought at a home show in Omaha, Nebraska in 1972. The model was a Japanese import called a Dial-a-Stitch. It weighed about 100 lbs, had built in cams, and sewed like a dream. Tension was a bit of a mix up now and then but I used it faithfully for 15 years until it started acting up and trying my patience. I had it "tuned up" and it never worked again. It made a charming door stop and then I discovered computerized machines and never looked back.


*I use a magnetic seam guide with the Accomplish because with that high speed it keeps the fabric feeding more accurately. 

No matter what brand or type of machine you choose, I hope that your dealer spends some quality time showing you how to thread it and some of the features that comes with the machine. Read the Manual. The rather strict lady from the Omaha dealership was very emphatic on this note. If there are classes available, take them. If nothing else you meet like-minded great people and if you are lucky like me, you may make some new friends in the process. 

In this little post from Amy Smart you can see her favorite 10 tips for taking care of your machine, HERE. Amy is a pro and her website has so much information for the quilter. Her studio space is always so neat and clean. She has a newsletter that will arrive at your mailbox once a week if you choose to subscribe. Amy's is a business so be prepared for some ads to pop up here and there. While I am not a fan of ads I try to remember that this is her job and that's how she gets paid, so I try to just ignore them.  

Her #9 tip is one of my favorites as well. I like to stitch out a little decorative stitch book to refer to when planning a project. I have done a version of this for all of my machines since Omaha😁 

Allrighty then dear friends, let go fire up those machines and make something to cherish. Thanks for spending some in Sewtopia.


 

Comments

marly said…
Very confused and clueless regarding brands and what to purchase. I just want basic with a few specialty stitches (if zigging is special!) and most I research are loaded with wonderful features. That would be great, but price is not justified for what I need. One Bernina store within an hour drive, advertised as a quilt shop and machine repair, it is not. Online is my option. Fingers crossed my old metal Kenmore will continue for years. Mom's vintage Singer is very moody.
celkalee said…
Hi Marly, sent you an email. Have a great weekend!