Tool Time, New and a Review

 *(this is not our machine, but it looked much like it)

Doo-Dads, that's what my stitching ancestors called them. I remember when I first sat down at my Grandmother's Treadle machine, there were many little tools in the drawers, many just for maintenance. Screwdrivers, little screws, some attachments that were, quite honestly, a little frightening, and a spool of red thread. The rest is history. I never knew my mother's mother. She died of the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918. The machine had been passed around in the family for decades and it ended in our basement when I was nine years old. My sister has it now.    

So that leads me to current sewing helpers that make our lives a little easier in the pursuit of our sewing passions. The Clover company supplies many helpful items and a often test them (for my own curiosity) and share my opinions. Available in big box stores, quilt shops, and online, they are reasonably priced and very popular for quilters and other sewists. 

Here is my new little tool collection. Mostly untested as yet, a new tool always provides me with an opportunity to experiment. That doesn't mean that I will keep using it, just a bit of a trial.  

On the left here is the little Clover flower maker. Not sure why I wanted to try this but I am thinking Christmas fabrics for gift decoration? I will play with it. Next in line is one of those little snap bands with a magnetic bobble to catch your pins as you sew.  Being a "pinner" I am thinking this will work for me. Unless I itch from the band, or I drop more pins than I catch, or the magnet is really not strong enough. Fabric glue, now I have used this one before and my bottle dried up before I was able to finish it. I really like Elmers School glue, I like the viscosity. I plan to compare these two. The bag hardware is a just because, it was on sale, I may just venture in to little bags. Someday😁I want to be prepared.







Since I work at a couple different machines, I tend to keep tools needed for that machine nearby so I don't have to pop up every five minutes to retrieve something. Now this little plastic drawer stack has everything for the straight stitch machine. For the work I do there I often a chalk marker, a Frixon pen, a little seam roller, some curved snips, and the little silicone pusher thing. I forget what they call it.  I chose an elegant rubber band to hold it all on top. Such class I tell you, such class!
I keep this little table top trash can on my right hand for little bits. I don't like debris in the area. I have the machine sitting on top of a cutting mat because sometimes I need to use a rotary cutter and then, again, I don't have to get up😎


One of my absolute favorite "tools" for the sewing room and just about everywhere are Command Hooks. I first discovered their versatility in our motorhome when I had to hang things inside cupboard doors, etc. They come in all types and sizes. This little clear one came in a multi-box I picked up at Costco last year.
And I just cannot forget the magnetic seam guide. I have been using this one, on this machine (it is not a computerized machine) for several months. It works very well. A keeper.

  • I do apologize for the "dry spell" here. So much going on for all of us I think. 
  • My plan is to share some Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving projects in August, Christmas in September.
  • To expand my fabric horizons, a friend, new to quilting, asked if we could take some little day trips to visit shops I haven't frequented in a while or ever. Last week we had such a nice time at Quilters Corner, in Finleyville, Pa. I am easily overwhelmed these days it seems, some fabric choices that were new to me, ideas and projects jumping around in my wee head, more on that later this week. (I hope.) We stopped for a little lunch down the road at a little restaurant named The Beach House. It is part of a parcel of a large park and now defunct swimming pool where I spent much time as a teen. Things have changed.    
  • Well, that's all from Maple Lane House. May all be well with you this week, our Summer is moving right along, isn't it?

Comments