PRE-SPRING, a Newsy Kind of Day

 <p>Forsythia stand against a deep blue sky at peak bloom.</p>

 

Oh my, Forsythia! Sunday's tend to be a "touch base" kind of day for me. So many dear friends confined during the cold weather, ill or just lonely, command my attention. While driving a short distance to visit one such friend I was thrilled, I mean almost jump out of my car thrilled, to see the forsythia hedges around the golf course in bloom. We have had a very mild Winter here, I think not more than 1 inch of measurable snow. That is very unusual but I have a theory. I bought new boots. I was prepared. I have never worn them. Works for me. 

 

Since I had an extra embroidery floor frame, dear friend and I set it up for her to use rather than work with hoop in hand because that is very difficult for her right now. Bingo, a good solution to a big problem. One of the most difficult issues of recuperation is boredom. We may have found a small solution to a big problem. Always an expert cross-stitcher, dear friend will hopefully find this helpful.    

And then there are these two little orphans. Dear son and DIL are devastated at the loss of our dear Bug. 10 days have passed, son is not sleeping, DIL is fussing. These little pups are at a local shelter. They have an interview and a meet and greet today. They must stay together, brother and sister. Mama Mia, I know the minute they see them the gig is up! Look at those faces. The one on the right looks like Bug a bit. We will see, update on the  next post. I have reminded them that we (husband and I) are not young chickens any more. We have physical limitations and baby sitting these two 6 month old sweeties might be a bit much. We will see. Good grief, the things we get in to.   

Planning for my Summer Sew a couple dresses are under consideration. I wore and washed these to threadbare last Summer so I need to make some decisions. I like to use cottons and linens for these, an occasional knit works well too. This Style Arc Montana I can sew in my sleep. I need to pop into Joann's to see if they have a fabric that will work. It takes almost 3 yards, I am working my way though the stash and I don't think I have enough of the fabric I have in mind. By changing up the fabrics, maybe add a bit of embroidery here and there, the dress looks different. I wear these around the house mostly. Cool, comfy, yet a nice wear.

I got this pattern late last Summer and never got around to making it. It is on the list. A bit more coverage with the sleeves but potentially a nice change up. Since longer dresses are popular again this year, I think it will work. Interestingly, I was watching a TV retailer selling a simple v-neck mid-calf length knit dress for $79! People, these were not high-end tailored garments, just off the rack simple with tropical knit fabrics. 

This is another Style Arc super easy sew. Another worn and done dress from last Summer. I  prefer the cap sleeve version. With just these 3 patterns, I can fill all those gaps in my Summer closet. 

  • Comedy is back. If you have Netflix, check out Chris Rocks special from over the weekend. Be aware, salty language is included. 
  • I have a few new tools to test and discuss this week. You know I like my gadgets.
  • My tulips are up about 6 inches, so are the daffs. The deer have been rooting around in the flower beds again, this is getting old. Have a wonderful day, enjoy those sunbeams, plan for warm weather, it is coming.......


Comments

marly said…
I have two cotton t-shirt dresses that I love, and of course, no longer available for purchase.
Shoulder seams, side seams, no set in sleeves, love them. Shaped as they are named ... T!! Then there's that ribbed knit collar that I've never done, but doubt I could sew that type of fabric let alone find it here.
celkalee said…
Just finished pressing the pre-washed fabric I bought for the Montana. Love it. A bit out of the ordinary for me since I prefer neutrals and simple small patterns. I will post it after the break.