Tuesday Tea, Happy St. Valentines Day

 

 I made this pillow on my embroidery machine a couple years ago and unearthed it a couple weeks ago to sit on my bed for Valentine's Day remembrance. I remember the little cards we traded in elementary school. We made a little mailbox from a shoe box decorated with paper doilies, faux flowers, etc. A slit cut in the lid of the box allowed the little cards to be exchanged by classmates. I also remember rooting through the cards to see just who gave me a Valentine card, and who did not! It was an important event, particularly when you are 9 years old. The post about this pillow, HERE. 

Today I will make some little dog treats from a mix I got from King Arthur. I even have a little baking pan shaped little little dog bones. 

I will also make Dear Son's favorite Pistachio cake, recipe on Kitchen Chronicles, HERE.

  

Husband will require a steak dinner, perhaps a white cake with a strawberry filling? Not sure. In days past he would buy the largest and most gaudy card he could find in the local Hallmark store. That store closed a couple years ago, now it is a quick cash check cashing place. Not a problem, he has taken over much of the laundry duties, much more practical and appreciated. 

This coming weekend I am traveling with some friends to a tea house for our "girl-time" celebration. I have never been to this one, I hope I can take some photos. I am a bit concerned about and hour+ in the car. I have difficulty walking when sitting that long. I am thinking positive. I am determined to keep on doing as much as possible. 

That brings me to my recent review of why we celebrate this day. Is it because it is a Hallmark Holiday?  

 4,209 Saint Valentin Photos and Premium High Res Pictures ...

 A day with great potential, St. Valentine has been romantically celebrated for centuries. There are some conflicting historical accounts of his life and works but most agree that he was the patron saint of lovers, epileptics, and beekeepers.    By some accounts, St. Valentine was a Roman priest and physician who suffered martyrdom during the persecution of Christians by the emperor Claudius II Gothicus about 270.

Highclere Castle will be hosting a special tea for the celebration. The four chefs there, working in a kitchen that dates back 1000 years, special treats will be presented. The kitchen has been thoroughly modernized, of course, but the history of this Grand Home, is a wonderful setting for St. Valentines Day. Decked with flowers and candles, it is just so special, creating wonderful memories for so  many.

  •  As I proof-read this post before pushing the publish button, I think it sounds a bit melancholy. That was not my intent. But earthquake victims are on my mind. Heartbreaking, but rare stories of survivors found in the ruble amaze me. 
  • Our local high school, my Alma mater, burned yesterday, An entire wing where the auditorium is located, as well as the band rooms, theater rooms, storage for instruments, uniforms and costumes, gone, all gone. The miracle of this is that all the local high schools have reached out to help. The band was due to go to Disney on Wednesday, other schools are giving them uniforms and instruments. The theatre group had just finished making their props for the Spring play. Other schools are offering their auditoriums and to help with remaking what they needed. 4 different groups have honored the theatre and band groups by donating their profits from their fundraiser to these groups so that they can continue. Amazing. My father was on the board that designed and built this school in 1956.  A four alarm fire,  12 responding fire companies, an amazing effort to contain the spread.    May be an image of outdoors

 May be an image of 1 person and indoor

Comments