A Little Housekeeping for the Creative Soul-Sewing Time

 

(*a favorite area in Phipps Conservatory, the train display, updated for the Holiday Show 2022)

A place for everything and everything in its place. Have you ever heard this phrase? I am not keen on clutter and chaos. A recent conversation with a fellow quilter sort of surprised me. Showing photo's of her creative space almost made me sad, how could she be so talented in such a work space? Therein lies the differences in the creative soul. Similarly, many people have a work desk with piles of paper scattered here and there while the rest of us have folders filed, pencils sharpened and a clear desk top.

I have been reading more and more about creative people. My conclusion is that no two are alike. (No big surprise there.) But what differentiates one from another? I have come to believe that those who create for a living have a much more lenient way of working. They are often impulsive and will let their creative juices spark at any given time and manifest in different ways. Those of us who create as a hobby or even as a competitor, have a more structured way of proceeding with whatever our passion might be. We fit it in with the rest of our lives. I could be totally off-base, but that is where I am in my exploration. Next week, who knows? Ha!😂    


 

A Victoria Sponge for desert today. I like to bake on Saturdays. I tried a new bread recipe, w-e-l-l, it looks good, weighs a bit like a rock I have in my garden. Bavarian Drop Noodles were great. Recipe on Kitchen Chronicles, HERE

 

This little cooking/baking spree took about 3 hours because I cannot stand for any length of time. News about all that is not good. I will share another time, but it has and will affect what I can create in the kitchen and in the studio. 

I am one of those people who need to have myself, my house, my dinner plans etc. all in place Before I head to the sewing machine. I think it was one of those guidelines presented in the instruction books of our sewing machines. I know it was in a 1930-40's woman's household guide as well.  

Almost a century later, yeesh, there are elements of that way of living that remain. My mother followed it, I have my own version of it as well. I like things clean. My kitchen and bathrooms get cleaned every day. If on occasion, I am not home or not able to get to those tasks, skipping a day will not matter. It is the daily maintenance that keeps it all working. 

Below is a compilation of information I have collected to support my semi-OCD process with creativity. May be a bit boring, just interesting to me. Maybe you, maybe not. Have a lovely day.    

******************************************************************************

At the beginning of the year, every magazine and online article one reads addresses this subject in one form or another. A few basic habits will keep you ticking along while the big jobs are a different subject all together. 

So, what is involved in the daily plan? 

  • Make your bed as soon as you are out of it. It is something like closing a book when you have finished it. 
  • Pick up as you go along. From that bedroom, make sure there are no clothes to be washed sitting on a chair or whatever. 
  • Our bathrooms are special places. Keeping them simple and sleek makes them easier to maintain. Swish the bowl as is your preference. I use a disposable sponge thingee, I cringe at the old fashioned toilet brush lurking in a corner! Squeegee the shower after use, one minute, you are done and there is no soap or mineral build up. I spray my tub with cleaner twice a week or more, depending, let the solution sit about 5-10 minutes. I have a scrubbing brush with a long extended handle, several types of clip on heads. It is battery charged and the battery last a long time between charges. It has saved my back. 
  • The bathroom sink is the repository of all sorts of things. A daily treatment and scrub takes 5 minutes. I have taken to using, now don't laugh, Pledge lemon polish spray on a microfiber cloth to wipe the marble countertops and wipe out the sink. Chrome faucets too. Bingo, clean and shiny. 10 minutes, max.
  • A load of laundry per day. Wash, dry, put away each day and there is no buildup. I have a laundry chute, it was an absolute essential when we built this house. Actually the house was built around the house. Lifesaver. I have a routine of what items I wash on what days. Works well for me, you can personalize your routine to best suit your life. 
  • Paper can take over a room when you turn around. Just like wire hangers, they have a plan and take over your life! Sort your mail when it comes in, magazines need to have their own home and be sorted to keep, file, donate, or toss regularly.
  • Do the same thing with your closets. As clothes, shoes, bags lose their appeal, lose their fit, or just go shabby, deal with them once a month or so. That space you retrieve will reduce the visual color in your life. 
  • When you are cooking, clean up as you go. An easy way to keep your cooking area neat is to measure and prep everything you will need before you start. Have all the utensils out and ready. As you cook, put each piece of prep bowl and spoon into the sink or dishwasher as you go. Wipe every spill as it occurs. Have your serving dishes lined up and ready. When you do this, there will be no willy-nilly unused spoons and measuring cups sitting around, you will have your seasonings measured and its container replaced where it lives. It takes a while to be comfortable with this sometimes but it works. Having a meal routine is also a great way to be organized. 
  • And last on this list is a before bed routine. Spend just a few minutes picking up toys, hanging up jackets, putting shoes in their place. Make sure keys, cups, lunches etc. are ready for the family to make the morning exit a smooth one. If you prefer to wash dishes at night, do that. If you have a water filtration system, make sure that is primed and filled. Fill the teapot and coffee pot. Turn out the lights, good night.
All of these little tasks make it much easier for you to be ready to sew the next day. And this is a big part of our lives. Using your time wisely will make your creative juices flow.     

Comments