The Sewist Shares Some Cynical Humor

 

Spiced Apple Scones, cheater, King Arthur mix. A couple times a year I order quite a bit of their products. I wait for a sale, I buy as much as I need to get free shipping. I often wonder how long that is going to last with the increased shipping costs. Anyway, these are great, easy to make, and now that I keep a more limited pantry, very handy. When the boys were here, I was baking every other day, now, maybe once or twice a week. For these I wrap and freeze half because it is too much for 2 people. 
Afternoon tea, just right. 

I have been doing some marking 10 inch blocks, studying the Kaffe fabrics for the Seed Packet quilt, and I actually found a video online with a charming English lady making the same quilt, in the red colorway. It is beautiful. I can't seem to find it right now but I will go back through my history and try to find it. 

I am so tired today, sleeping poorly. Yesterday was an interesting day. I was parked only a few feet from an entrance door to the restaurant where I was meeting friends. Right now walking is getting more and more difficult. See doctor next week. Anyway, the snow/rain combination was pelting me from all angles so I grabbed an umbrella. So picture this, a new wool coat, I am sensitive to wool but it is well lined, I had a neck scarf wrapping exposed skin to protect it from the scratching. The umbrella is getting ready to blow out of my hand holding the keys that just happen to have one of those screaming alert fobs on it. Purse is falling off my arm, there is something undefineable on the tarmac where I just stepped, the purse is falling, the umbrella is getting ready to give me flight, and the alarm on the fob goes off. An elderly man passes me two rows of cars away and he runs into the restaurant. He is smiling. I signal that I am not being attacked, as if he was going to come to my aid anyway. 

 I made it to the door after turning off the darn alarm, then I could not close the umbrella. The door was difficult to open but I made it. Wet, laughing, and preparing to ditch the coat. Friends already seated are wondering who I was talking to and why the coat was being ripped off. This one to the nearest donation bin. One wear, much itch, it is gone. 

  • In an act of self-preservation, I am currently seeking a small key pouch to keep in my purse. Something that will hold the keys, flash light, alarm, etc., etc. to prevent another incident. If husband could attach a fire extinguisher and a water bottle to my key chain he would. There will be some changes here. 
  • Wool, my nemesis. Interestingly, I thought I was doing better in the sensitivity realm because the yarn I am working with now does not bother me. (I am referring to the current crochet project) I think the coat was not done in a high quality wool, probably some poor critter with barbed wired embedded and sheared to make my coat. I could just return it but donating it is easier.  
  • An interesting conversation on "tipping" occurred on television the other day. New etiquette rules may need to be applied. Some people don't tip delivery people, others don't tip workers on take out orders, and still others apply a very interesting value system to the servers based on how many times they interacted before, during, and after the meal. I don't think I would enjoy my dinner if I am counting all the time. No wonder I am tired. The average wage for servers in sit-down restaurants across the country is $2.35! Yikes. Locally, I checked, it is more like $3.50 to start and with time and experience, around $4.00. Many places combine all tips and divide them at the end of service or the end of the week because many people tip on credit cards. I have queried quite a few workers with their permission. It seems that one element stands out. A smiling server, no matter how good the food, how long the wait, or any other element of the experience, gets the best tips. 
  • And for those people using Ozempic (an injectable medication used for treating Type II Diabetes) for off-lable weight loss, Shame on you, the shortage of the medication is now causing true diabetics great harm. I never cease to be amazed at physicians who have participated in this tragedy. Knowing how unbelievably expensive this medication really is compounds the surprise. Really. 

First Place in Tax Preparation, 2023

 I just had to share this little ditty. As I gather everything I need to send off to the tax preparation team, I am reminded of my prior angst. A few years ago I gave up, no one gave me a sticker on my forehead for the effort. I always worried about what I may have forgotten, did I remember to sign, etc.?

Instead, I am going to review my geometry, that was an A for me in high school. 😁😁😁😁

 May be an image of text that says 'I'M GLAD I LEARNED ABOUT PARALLELOGRAMS IN HIGH SCHOOL MATH INSTEAD OF HOW TO DO MY TAXES. IT COMES IN SO HANDY DURING PARALLELOGRAM SEASON.'

Comments