Perfectionism Is the Thief of Joy

 

I heard this phrase, the title of this post, from a very unexpected source. Not someone I would associate with philosophical thinking, but this profound thought and the conversation that followed really struck a cord with me. For some time fitting issues have deterred me from garment sewing. While cleaning out a box in my cupboard I found a blouse I made a few years ago that on the surface looked just fine. I remember tucking it in the box thinking I would open those side seams, pick out the stitching in the darts and moved them 1/2 inch   

While pulling thread for a little project I made quite a mess of this box, I just had to put it all back and make it tidy again. I don't think that is "perfectionism" but more like housekeeping😏

As we move through the first month of the year I must say we have been fortunate here, weather-wise. While the air is mostly quite chilly, I am thankful for so little snow. My gratuity is selfish I think, I don't want to see husband out there with a shovel. It is that simple. 

The advantage of this rather bleak month is that I can brighten my indoor spaces with little lights in dark corners, candles in the kitchen, and cozy quilts here and there to take away any chill in the afternoon or evening when I sit to stitch or read. Lola is a foot warmer, that helps too.

 

I have decided to gather her significant collection of neck scarves and fashion a quilt from them. I did donate quite a few to the local animal shelter but they didn't seem to want more. So I set my little thinking wheels to work and made an executive decision. With each monthly groom, Tracy gives her a new, often themed to holidays, scarf. I am torn between two different patterns. A simple square block cut from the triangle shape using as much of the fabric as possible, or this little pattern cutting as many little rectangles as possible. While I want it to be cute and well done, we aren't painting the Mona Lisa here. This is often not the best quality fabric, it's a dog scarf. Perfectionism not required.

Have a lovely day, consider all the moments of this month that made you smile. 

10 thoughts that are bouncing around lately;

Let your failures be the catalyst to keep trying.

Sewing is a learned skill.

Fabric makes everything better.

Buy the beautiful fabric.

I made the most amazing enchiladas tonight.

Being blonde is easier than covering gray roots.

I had an "intention" to change my morning routines on Jan. 1, as of now, so far so good, I think it is working.

I just finished an engaging book, it was a daily journal by the Scottish journalist and book seller, I miss it. 

I have always wanted to own a bookstore.

I have way too many kitchen gadgets and widgets...I never said that.   

Comments