Monday This and That

 

I cannot wait for flower season. I tend to get a bit antsy at this stage of Winter, I need to find a way to mitigate that. I will return to my long-supported garden center this season. I did stray last year, brought home a load of killer aphids. Lost all my annuals except the snap dragons. Dollar signs flying away up to the sky, literally.

So I want to share a few things that may be of interest.

  • Sewing; I should put this in the gadget and widget category but after a long piecing session yesterday, I knew I had to share this today.  This is the Clover "Hold it Precision Stiletto." With a wedge pointed end and a curved end, my oh my, the control is wonderful. I have used a bamboo stick, recommended by Martha Pullen and it did the job, but they cracked in half several times, I tend to hold things too tightly. I have tried to hold a combo item that I picked up in a quilt shop. It had one pointed stiletto end and one end that was a seam ripper. The end broke off the first time I picked it up! I paid $35 for the darn thing. If the shop had been closer I would have returned it. This one is plastic, good old Clover tool time. HERE, if you are interested.
     Clover Hold It Precision Stiletto
  •  Cookbook; I keep thinking I really don't need any more cookbooks. Well, there are exceptions and this is one. Recommended by author and blogger extraordinaire Shannon Ables, HERBS, by Judith Hann, is fabulous. I know I mentioned this book before but the more I use it I am amazed that I had not considered using this herb or that before. It has truly stepped up my culinary spectrum. Also available in larger bookstore and Amazon,   Herbs: Delicious Recipes and Growing Tips to Transform Your Food
  • Sleep is an illusive commodity to many, me as well. I have tuned into a sleep sounds component on my Kindle for a long time. Raindrops on windowpanes, tin roof, forest floor have been helpful. Well, for some reason that is no longer available. I have two other Kindles, nada. I cannot find information about this change on the Prime site either. My I Pad has some available but they are an additional charge. No thank you. What did I do? I found an amazing (so far) little sound machines. Not music, no raindrops, no lullaby's, just the sound or humming of a little fan. Built in the USA (that in itself is a bit of a miracle) you can connect your I Phone app to control it from across the room. Yes, it works. For the first time in ages I have slept through the night! It is available on Amazon, got mine in 2 days. The Snooz White Noise Machine, HERE.  SNOOZ Smart White Noise Machine - Real Fan Inside for Non-Looping White Noise Sounds - App-Based Remote Control, Sleep Timer, and Night Light - Cloud

 ****I receive NO compensation in any way for my recommendations. I use these items and just want to share, Just in case you are looking for something similar.

As I peek outside I see a few rays of sunshine. Rare for January in Pennsylvania but most welcome. I am not alone. Yesterday I noted that my daffodils are up about 3 inches, not good. We will ultimately have a killing freeze and they will die off. The days are a wee bit longer, my black squirrels are terrorizing the rest of the ground level critters. I am a bit concerned, I have not seen my favorite chipmunk, Alvin for a few months. This has happened before and he turns up at the most unexpected times, we will see. Lady Carnavon speaks to the balance between pessimism and optimism during the January dull days ...HERE.

Comments