Collections, Polish Pottery, Grandmother Appreciation Day

It is no secret that I am a Polish Pottery collector. It started years ago, an innocent purchase. We were staying at our lake cottage for a 'Staycation' and had been roaming the area antique shops. I really didn't see much that I wanted except for some vintage Ball canning jars. We stopped at the local Cracker Barrel restaurant in the only little town nearby. After dinner we roamed the shop area and he found these blue and white dishes, some had little dots, others had big dots and designs. And there the die was cast. I thought, well, these would be nice in the cottage, at that time blue was a very popular design color and these would work. We bought a service for 8. We often had guests there. 


In time I learned that this starter set, as much as I like it was only the tip of the iceberg. And the rest is history. Cracker Barrel only carried the dishes for a short time but there are 4 wonderful online shops that I discovered and a few brick-and-mortar stores in the tri-state area.   


The tea sets, the serving dishes, everything, is part of my collection. Meet my "Bubba" jar. In truth, I could open my own shop but we'll talk about that some other time!


Each culture has their special holidays. Since I have been married into a Polish family for 53+ years, my respect for their family-centered special days have become mine. While I am working on some new table runners that match my Polish Pottery for Easter, I thought I would share this recognition day and perhaps prompt you to research your family heritage as well.  

January 21/22 is widely celebrated across Poland. Children and adults congratulate their grandmothers and give them small presents, greeting cards, and flowers to show their gratitude and appreciation. 

Comments