Skip to main content

A Re-run Monday, Clearing the Space

While scanning through my files I came upon this post which even now has found purchase with me as I sort through several collections of sewing supplies, cross-stitch projects and little plastic boxes, as well as yarn. Since I work on projects in spurts, there are often long periods of time where I don't pick up a crochet hook and the little tote that holds the project in progress just sits there, mocking me. Beside my bedroom stitching chair I have two decorative boxes (you know the kind, Joann's and they look like they have antique wall paper on them) as well as my portable carrying case with a cross-stitch project in it. There is even a floor frame with a piece of linen on it. Seriously, this all has to go, to be sorted and out of sight. 

This holiday season has been one of my best in the last 10 years, and in some ways the worst. There are some things you just carry with you for the rest of your days. I actually decorated some this year but there was/is an emptiness that remains. I haven't felt much like sewing or writing. I have a million ideas bouncing around in my head but they have stayed there, looking for a pocket to drop into. I suppose this is an apology, not an excuse. I miss my Dear Son.  

So, do you have a picnic basket, a decorative box, or an empty drawer just looking for a purpose? Have a peek at these ideas. 

Monday Make, Turn an Old Suitcase into a Sewing Box!

Make a Sewing Case from an Old Suitcase

 If you are familiar with Quilters Digest online you will know that the inspiration can be through the roof! Talk about ideas, one would never cook or clean again, Ha, like that would be a problem, right? Anyway, I am sure I posted something similar to this in the past but with the Summer yard sales and Flea Markets upon us, you just never know when you might find a nice piece of luggage, or a picnic basket to repurpose. When traveling or at your Summer stay, it's always nice to take a little bit of something to work on when relaxing. 

If your choice has a bit of a musty odor (as luggage often does) give it a nice sunbath. A few hours in the bright sunlight will banish those musties right away. I store my luggage with fabric softener sheets.  While it gives a nice scent, critters and bugs do not like it. Bonus!

Make a Sewing Case from an Old SuitcaseI have a picnic basket/case like this from Joann's several years ago. It is currently full of embroidery supplies, in the back of a closet, currently out of reach without major shifting of closet contents. And remember, I just cleaned that one out and donated lots of garment fabric. Yikes, I may need to re-examine what I still have, or not. My reasoning is valid.....the Garment Project, Fall 2022 is in the works and you just never know what might be needed. That's an excuse, I know. 

The link to the original article is included. HERE YOU GO! 

  • Today I am busy on the Coronet. She is cleaned, oiled, tested and ready for a lesson. I haven't used her for a while, she is running beautifully. I am so glad, I was worried since she has been idle for some time. I will post photo's of the project if permitted by the giver.
  • I am actually recovering from strain from yesterday's plumbing emergency. A waterfall through my kitchen ceiling, all over and behind my new cabinets, plaster is cracked, floor is saturated upstairs. The porcelain goddess has been restored, but Husband is not a plumber, just saying. All cleaned up and repaired now but it was quite a day. 
  • On days like this I am so thankful that my cooking/prep plan works well. I have continued to prepare recipes for 4, divide them, freeze the second portion. Just this morning I retrieved a nice little stuffed cabbage tray with kielbasi, one of the hopeless plumbers favorites. I will need to make the mash later but otherwise, good to go. 
  • May your Monday be a good one, take a moment to enjoy the sun, the fresh warm air, and the chirps of the happy little birds. 
     

Comments

Val said…
I too have been sorting as crosstitch has taken over a good part of my studio. I have a stand and frames but struggle with the change from a hoop. I only have one project on the go at a time but wonder if having one in a frame and 1 in a hoop might make the transition easier? Using only the hoop is making for cramped muscles and wrists.
So far the sorting has given me a brighter space and more breathing room. Love your blog thankyou for posting.
celkalee said…
Ah, Kindred spirits! I have had a bit of a time adjusting to the floor frame as well. My working process is different than a hoop-in-hand. I suspect if I were more consistent I might do better! Thanks for stopping by, I will be moving some of my supplies (the ones in my bedroom beside my evening stitching chair) into a sewing machine cabinet that used to hold a small machine that I now use when traveling or going to classes. Wasted space, needs a purpose. Happy Stitching!