Between-the-Years Week; Sorting the Studio

SAM_3513.JPG

 The rising sun shot through the morning fog. It's that time of year when my surroundings change in character. No leaves, different light, fog and snow tend to shed a totally different perspective. I was up very early this morning preparing for a long road trip to visit a friend. A Tuesday without a doctor appointment is a celebration in and of itself! It was an interesting day to travel, chilly, light snow flurries by the time I left. One needs to visit House Beautiful now and then to light a fire under me. When I say not one thing out of place I am not exaggerating. Wow, I am lagging.

*I made this quilt about 5 years ago. I called it the batik misery project. Using Lynn Hagemeirs layering techniques, I was having great fun. The colors, not so much. Great ideas gone wrong. The original recipient left the family fold before it was finished, the second owner kept it on her bed until she went away, now it adorns a chair in husband's office, sometimes on the floor, sometimes under Lola.  

In my childhood, this "between-the-years" week was one of short travels to visit family and friends. It was what we did in the 1950's and '60's! There were no cell phones, no zoom gatherings, no internet. Each family member hosted a light dinner party for the family to admire our Christmas Trees, exchange small gifts, and just enjoy each others company. 

 

I spent the evening cleaning up the studio. There was a Christmas project I never even started. It was  a kit of themed fabric and a pattern. Initially I liked it. Then I didn't. (do you see a trend here?) So into the drawer themed Christmas Projects. If I don't tackle it in the next year or find a better use for the fabric, it gets given or donated. I also gathered up many little neck scarfs Lola gets with each grooming. There are quite a few. I have decided to wash, press, and cut the triangles into blocks of some sort, sew them together, and make a blanket for her big upstairs bed. Well honestly, all her beds are big, she's big. 

 

*I sort of like the back more than the front. Particularly the blue background fabric. 

Another little event was to gather all my pens, fabric markers, etc. and toss any that are dry, nonfunctional, or just not working for me. You wouldn't believe how many dry pens I had. 

 Now for a nice hot cup of tea, driving makes me rather tired. Toodles.


Comments