Kitchen Littles, the Quilted Strawberry Coaster

My yellow roses have already bloomed; their stunning appearance is about two weeks earlier than usual. They were fragrant, very large, and the stems were even stronger than usual. We have had a long cool Spring and despite two very destructive storms, the roses were unfazed. The red ones are in early bud right now, soon they will open. We did lose our heritage pink ones, they were very delicate when we moved them from the other house, they never fully recovered. 

The peonies were also beautiful, I picked the first ones a week ago, today I went to cut some more, and they were gone, not even a blossom left, the deer are smiling from the hillside, they had themselves a little salad bar over night. 

The week sure seemed shorter than usual! We spent much of the time planting flowers. We discovered a new nursery that we had driven past probably 50 times but never went in. Big Mistake! The most beautiful flats of flowers and herbs that I have seen in quite some time. Long story short, we got carried away. All I can tell you is every planter we own is planted and husband bought more, a lot more. They are beautiful. A little garden tour soon.   

It takes me twice as long to do the yard work these days, husband did all the planting, I weed and water.  During my rest periods I read, of course. This is a page opened to The Road to Le Papillion, by Shannon Ables and the beautiful silk bookmark, embroidered with snowdrops that she sent along to the upper tier members of her blog. 

This bookmark has given me ideas, I ordered an in-the-hoop embroidery design set from Anita Goodesign. It is from 2018 and I have never seen it before. I am going to attempt to "copy" the style using this machine embroidery collection. Now, this bookmark is on a fine silk, backed with a stabilizer of some sort, there is a tiny tassel on the end. Too cute. Every time I open this book this happy little item greets me.   

Of course, this is the season of iced tea, lemonade, etc. The first thing I noticed while rocking away on the back porch while reading and waiting for the direct sunlight to get behind the trees, is that my iced tea, chilled and very refreshing, was making my glass sweat large drops, drops that were soaking the tablecloth on my porch table. It was 90 F. back there! I did some searches and found these sweet little coasters that are super easy to make, I think. I haven't had time to make any yet, but I wanted to share these. The pattern is available, no cost. These would also make cute hostess gifts and you don't need an embroidery machine to make them!  

 Quilted Strawberry Coasters, HERE.

 

 Another coaster from the group at Nancy Zieman, HERE. A reversible Red, White and Blue option!

  • Yesterday was the presentation of the high school graduates in our church. What a heart-warming sight as they walked down the center aisle in formation. From three different schools, such a fine- looking group of young men and women!  As they head off into an unstable world, I recalled that when I graduated our world was also at war.  
  • I enjoyed watching some of the events at the Queen's Jubilee. The pomp, the ceremony, the traditions, nothing like it in the world. Queen Elizabeth II has lived a long life and has seen so much. Now frail but still alert and working, she is an inspiration to many. My friends in the UK had a wonderful bank holiday, lots of celebration and food. 
  • I have my apron fabric out, some are cut, waiting for assembly. I was scanning Ebay and came upon my favorite pattern, long out of print, selling for $25.00, uncut.  

Yes, this is number one! Has been for twenty years. 

Comments