June Theme, Sewing for the Kitchen and Dining Room

 Watercolor Art - White Lilies | Lily painting, Flower painting, Watercolor  flowers

 Good morning all, Hello June! What a special month, it is mild and welcoming and the flowers are blooming. The scent of newly mown grass, the sound of bird parents guarding their nests from intruders, while the neighbors rooster crows, all day, every day, with absolute abandon. Shameless bird, so bossy! * addendum Since I started this post, there is silence. I think its fair to say ...another one bites the dust!

Salt Spring Island 'chicken war' moves to court as rooster owner challenges  noise bylaw | CBC NewsLiving in this area, many people raise chickens, ducks, geese. Unfortunately, some don't contain them properly and they roam the lawns and often walk the streets. Not good. Some become victims of cars and trucks. 

So, in my wee brain I have decided to narrow the focus of my posts. My sewing time is limited. So you will see more variety in what I share. 

Today, lets talk about "littles." Kitchen and dining items that we can make with small amounts of fabric. Everything from place mats,  potholders, tote bags for shopping, table runners, napkins, tea cozy, tea tray liners, embroidered towels, appliance covers, and such. Toward the end of the month I plan to work on some Christmas items for Christmas in July as well, those will be 'littles" as well.

 I need to add that I have never been much of a fan of crocheted or knit dish cloths. There I said it. 😧I made a few, some were actually requested gifts, some for basket for a church raffle, and some I kept. Well, did you know that all kinds of little bits get caught up in all those loops? Even high agitation laundry did not clean them out. Tossers, all of them. 

An essential for me is the lowly apron. You all know I wear an apron all the time! I need the pockets, I spill and drop a lot while cooking. My clothes thank me. There are several types of aprons I make. 

  1. The standard "Chef's" apron.
  2. The tabard-style apron.    Warrior Pocket Tabard - DV250 | SP Workwear - Branded Clothing, Embroidered  Workwear & Uniform 
  3. A smock style apron.
  4. My favorite style is the smock-wrap style. No ties.  

  • Time to gather fabrics and patterns. 
  • If you don't have a pattern, consider this option from Donna Jordan. Here she shows you how to draft a little pattern with simple measurements. She makes a printed panel apron and another from yardage. Both are lined and reversible!  HERE. This is a great tutorial. She uses a curtain rod to turn long ties! Love it!
  • The catalogs are full of retro design aprons as well as modern interpretations of vintage styles.
     

I came upon these photos while cleaning photo files. These were taken before my life changed. I had forgotten them. These two antique aprons, about 50-60 years of age, show some details popular in Vintage pieces. Each was single layer and trimmed and tied with bias tape. They were sewn by the MIL of an aunt. A wonderful stitcher and a friend of bias tape, all kinds, for everything.   

Welcome June!


 

 


  

 

Comments