The Preakness Runs Today, Are You Ready? (Do you have your hat? Is your bar set up? What's for dinner?)


 Navy Sinamay Hat with Pink Bouquet image 1

Good Morning Sewtopians! Just a little reminder that today is the 147th running of the Preakness Stakes.  An American thoroughbred horse race, the Preakness Stakes is held on the third Saturday in May each year at Pimlico. The Preakness Stakes 2022 will run at 1 3/16 miles, or 9.5 furlongs, making it the shortest of the Triple Crown horse races.

 New Pimlico Would Emphasize Preakness, Versatility - BloodHorseI'm a little busy today so I can't get down there, but I will catch it on television. NBC, pre-race coverage beings at 4:30 on NBC. 

  •   Historic Pimlico Race Course, home of the Preakness Stakes, first opened its doors on October 25, 1870, making it the second oldest racetrack in the nation behind Saratoga, which debuted in 1864 in upstate New York. Engineered by General John Ellicott, Pimlico has played host to racing icons for over a century, where Baltimoreans have seen the likes of legendary horses such as Man o’ War, Sir Barton, Seabiscuit, War Admiral, Citation, Secretariat and Cigar thunder down the stretch in thrilling and memorable competition.


 To be clear dear friends, I really wasn't planning to go to Baltimore this weekend! I may venture to the Meadows Racetrack now and then though! 

I do have my hat ready, we picked up some "Old Fashion" mix at Williams Sonoma the other day, husband has his mixers ready! I tried a little hat for Lola, she ate it! This dog has no class, you know what I mean?
Dinner will not be high-cuisine, I am grilling hot dogs, making zucchini fries in the air fryer, and I made some divine strawberry ice cream! 
  • I plan to draw the guidelines on my 10 inch squares to make the Disappearing Pinwheel Quilt by Donna Jordan, HERE! A different take on the famous and fabulous pinwheel, Donna has taken it to a new level. There is also a free pattern with the video! A link to all her fabulous free patterns, HERE!
  • I will post as I go, have a lovely day. Supposed to be very hot here today, 91F! Yikes, that will probably tie the record heat in May on this date from 1996. (I remember 1996 very well. One son getting married, the other graduating from high school and going off to University. Busy, busy, busy. It was wonderful.)
When we are in the midst of busy, busy, busy, we often don't appreciate the unique times we are living and the memories we are making.   
  •  Toodles!

Comments

marly said…
I hope Lola enjoyed her hat. I can't watch races because I am afraid of witnessing an injury. Thunder boomer right now.
celkalee said…
I have always watched the races. In my youth, and into young adulthood, horseback riding was my passion. On our honeymoon, I booked horses to ride up in the Pocono's. The groom put me on a sweet old girl, he remarked that if she died during the climb, I should just get off and wait for a ride. In contrast, he put my husband on a highly spirited 3-year-old. His horse took off at a full gallop as he screamed, save me!!! He was not then or ever a horseman. He was waylayed by a spotter along the trail. Thankfully, there were no injuries! And as a side note, Lola hated her hat. It lasted about 20 seconds!