Saturday Summary for May

 

 I live in a swamp. A woody swamp. Seriously, if we do not get a break from all this rain we are going to float away! The grass is growing by leaps and bounds, screaming green, beautiful. Hopefully, it will dry up a bit so the tractors will not sink in up to their axles. We still have a few more trees that need to be cleaned up from the storm but son (the one with the big equipment) is busy digging a new foundation for the new building, his workshop. He spent the dry moments this weekend with a jack hammer breaking up boulders. Big boulders. Mud, lots of mud goat on lawn

 I have no reference point for this photo, it was just too cute not to share. 

Queen of Quilting You have to appreciate the skill and the humor involved in making this doll. I haven't made dolls for years. At one point, a lady I talked to almost every day for business purposes, had sadly mentioned that all of her doll collection had been destroyed in a house fire over the weekend. Most of her other items could be replaced, but this collection, handed down to her by a beloved grandmother, could not. She was heartbroken. She knew that I "sewed" and asked if I could recreate a couple of her most cherished dolls. The ethnic components of these dolls made them a collector's item for her. I did not "age" them, I left that to her, but I did use fabrics that had been recycled from woolen coats and dresses. She sent me photos of several, we chose two. I did recreate them to the best of my ability. We have lost touch over the years, retirement etc. When I saw this doll, the past came flooding back. It's the little things, you know, special moments, special events that ground us to our history.

Anyway,  30" Doll Pattern includes: instrucions, supply losts and accessories.The Queen of   Quilting, is available at the Stitchin Marketplace, HERE.

 My last foray into Granny Squares, was a long time ago! It was the photo below that got me going. I made a pillow, like this, for the rocking chair on my front porch. Well.....that didn't last, the dreaded stink bugs loved it and nested in it!!!😖That one was tossed, the other one was rescued before bad things happen and it is tucked away, with the pillow collection!

I mention all this, ( I do seem to go on lately!) because Lori Holt is having a sew along and quilt along to celebrate her new book.

Celebrate the Summer with Lori Holt and the classic Granny Square Block. Her second book, Great Granny Squared, celebrates this iconic crocheted block. It starts June 3rd. Interested? Just pop over HERE SCROLL DOWN ABOUT HALF WAY TO READ ABOUT, WATCH VIDEO'S , AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE A GRANNY SQUARE!

  • Remember to control the humidity in your sewing room/studio. I am in the basement. In spite of the AC running all the time, dampness quickly moves in. During the warm weather I run a dehumidifier in that space all the time. It takes up space, it is noisy, it is a pain in the neck to empty, b-u-t, I cannot risk rust to pins, machines, etc. and dampness in my fabrics. Remember to protect your investment. 
  • Remember to take a break when sewing for extended periods. Sitting for long periods of time has the same effect as sitting in an airplane, or in a chair. You become increasingly vulnerable to the formation of blood clots in your legs. Current recommendations are to get up and move, walk, stretch every 45 minutes. 
  • Do not become complacent with your Covid related practices. Hand washing remains essential. No matter what the infection rate (with the most recent variant, I cannot remember the name assigned) because the germs have not taken the Summer off. Remember to wipe your door knobs and spigot handles with a disinfectant. Also, remember your car, the steering wheel and the handles are not clean. *I have mentioned this many times but it remains a relevant element of self care. Ladies, remember to wash your hand before you visit the loo. Because our anatomy is highly vulnerable to infection, a clean hand is a prerequisite to the wipe. 
  • Related to the above statement, please remember to hydrate. Water is your friend. If you have health issues that require that you monitor the volume of water you drink, please contact your doctor. Appropriate hydration is different for many.
  • All this said, please remember I am a nurse and these health tips are part of my nature and sharing this is important to all of us. Toodle-loo!

Comments

marly said…
And thank you for sharing those tips and reminders! And the goat.