The Week That Was

 

A day without flowers is a day without majesty. When one looks at a plant in bloom, how can we not wonder at the miracle of life? Our world of nature, in all its forms, grounds us, strengthens us, and fills our being with optimism, creativity, and hope. When I take a walk, freezing right now, I never cease to be amazed at how our black squirrels have regrouped since their tree collapsed.

For a few days there was some frantic darting from one tree to another, they have since regrouped. I would love to share a photo of some of them but they are sooooo fast, I cannot capture them!

Every season we have one doe who separates herself from the herd and stays close to the house. The others roam in and out, nibble our shrubs etc., but she never strays far. She will walk up to you, as close as 10 feet just to observe. You can look into her eyes, and she into yours, and she will turn and slowly amble away, usually up into the woodland edge or behind the barn. I shouldn't name wild animals, particularly during deer hunting season, but I do. I find myself looking for her when Lola and I are out. Fearing she is a victim of the season and hoping beyond hope that she is OK.  Her name is Rosie.  Every year we have a Rosie. This is about the 10th Rosie.  I have learned so much from these simple, wild creatures. I have learned how to adjust, define a new pathway, and be grateful for what has been gifted to me.  A partially loaded quilt waits patiently for some action. It will need to wait a while longer!

Comments

Jeanneke said…
My dear friend, condolences sent with warm wishes for comfort and well-being.
You are in my thoughts and prayers, always.
Love and blessings,
Jeanneke.
marly said…
I am so sorry for your loss.