A Sunday Bonus, Following Trends in Home Decor, Sewtopia Is So Not This!!!

  _[Lenna Rust Charcoal Rug from Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines  ](https://shop.magnolia.com/products/lenna-rust-charcoal-rug)_

Trends, trends in home styles, decor, clothing, everything! Do you have a "color?" You know what I mean, is there a color that you are drawn to, if you look in your wardrobe are you a black fanatic, is blue your hue, is is yellow your groove? (notice the lean back to the 1970's?)  

So, I can't help but notice that things-are-a-changing people. Of course, I am just catching up to the most recent styles that have been popular for 20 years and its a good thing that I didn't follow through!Why you ask, because this cold-weather down time has provided time for me to do some research. You know, TV watching, finally able to scan my magazine subscriptions, and make some plans. Even though I said no big projects this year I don't think I can stick to that. Now, I will need to hire out this job because not only am I a terrible painter, I just can't do that stuff anymore. I have to smile here because my mother was the epitome of change. We would come home from school and the furniture would be rearranged, one or more walls would be painted a different and often contrasting color, the original designer of the "feature wall" she was. God Bless her. 

 

OK, back to color. Remember the original Fixer Upper series with Chip and Joanna Gaines? Everything painted white, ship-lap covering everything? Often credited with being the mother of Farmhouse Chic, Joanna set the trend for home decor for a long time. I find it charming, I like the clean look, but now I am seeing all sorts of clutter creeping in with farmie theme. Well, I have to say I never entered a farmhouse that looked like these. Now, that's not a bad thing, but certainly not authentic. I suppose I am looking for authentic style.

 

Back to Joanna Gains, I stumbled upon the new series by accident. I wasn't going to watch any of it because the white ship lap had run its course for me. Whoa Nellie, things are changing. I watched the second show in the series and had a wonderful awakening. The ranch house they remodeled is no where near my home in style or design but the trend is clear. White is out! Black window grids, black accents, black painted wainscotting. Yes, white was on vacation on this show. 

  _[Rowan Denim Rug - Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines](https://shop.magnolia.com/products/rowan-denim-rug)_Note, wood tones, not painted wood, stained wood. Everywhere. Open shelves, clean lines, no clutter just intentionally curated pieces. I have work to do. 

This dining room reminds me of a style popular int the 1960's, we called it Danish Modern. No upholstered chairs, a clean planed and finished table top with dishes and bits and pieces all the same eggshell color with minimal design. 

 Again wood, darker matte finished floors, wooden bed frame, no upholstered, minimal design on the dresser with legs visible.  

And last but not least, check out this master bath. Black terracotta. I never knew such an element existed. Now I think it is too dark and that black tile will be a bear to clean. Charming mat, some kind of grass, a designers finale. 

OK, just one more. Can you tell I am on a roll with this house? Anyway the vanity in this bathroom has been jeweled with the new-favorite-of-all-designers, this beautiful burnished brass faucet set. Pretty, different, trendy absolutely, but a perfect accent with this black tile and wood grain.   

   

  • OK, just know that I shamelessly copied all these photo's from a Google page about the show. 
  • Notice also the wall color is all an off-white. I couldn't find the exact paint manufacturer or color but on my monitor it looks a egg shell hue. 
  • The balance of white and dark is  key to the style. Of course, Joanna is pretty good at this. 
  • In episode 1 feature walls are making an appearance as well.
  • A recent major rehab of a home in our neighborhood directed me to this quest. That home, built the same year as mine (1974) has a multilevel modern design and the young couple who totally gutted and remodeled this home did a fantastic job. They retained wood tones and payed homage to a now "vintage style" with the fireplace, stairways, and outside facade.  
  • I am not compensated in any way for this post. 
  • There is not a quilt in sight. Not one, not even a pillow with a quilt block design. Not one. Oh my. 
  • If you wish to read the article in its entirety including sources for every single item they used as well as a downloadable floor plan, just click HERE.

Comments

ELMO said…
Who knew Joanna Gaines could switch it up like this? Well, I'm almost there, all of my living areas are painted white but my bedrooms and bathrooms are a tinted white. The laundry room though is turquoise (I lost my mind). I'll have to post pics once it's ready for sale.