Thinking Out Loud, The Random Thoughts While I Test a Cookie Recipe

 On a raining, breezy Saturday here in 'The Burgh' I wanted to share some musings about this time of year. One blogger I know calls these "Flypaper thoughts."

  • Geography: I love my city. Like all large cities there are issues. But, in the larger sense the people here are friendly, helpful, and generous. We have many "ethnic" neighborhoods where the immigrants settled from the early 1800's until today. Each of those neighborhoods have their own character and  their own traditions. I live in a country-ish neighborhood, there are still farms and extensive woodlands surrounding me. At this time of year every organization, every church, every police and fire department and every private club are working to provide food and gifts for the less fortunate. This is a good place to live. We have diverse cultural arts, museums, universities, as well as restaurants, and shopping. I am grateful.
  • Climate: Seasonal living in this part of the world has always been important to me. In decor, in cooking, dressing, and sewing, yes, I feel a seasonal urge with the changes of weather. We are categorized as North Atlantic. We have all four seasons and mostly a temperate climate.
  •  May be an image of indoorTechnology: While  some may disagree, my next thought is just how fortunate we are these days, particularly during the isolation of the pandemic, to have access to the talent of others. The internet, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook all have provided endless creativity and the joy of sharing. During this Christmas season, I never cease to be amazed at all the talented people who share their makes. This one made by a lady named Rebecca Kerin, shared on Facebook, Old and Early Prim Addicts group.
  • Traditions: At this time of year, most of us remember our family traditions growing up. Some we have incorporated in our own gatherings and some are new, special to current members. In any situation, holding our memories close to our hearts will expand the joy we feel as we celebrate our holidays. 

My almost dried hydrangea, I am getting ready to test a new cookie recipe, now that is a Saturday!

Sewing, I have a holiday panel apron cut out, ready to go. I pondered whether or not to line it but decided no, I will wear it once or twice, pack it away for next year and I want a quick project. Photo soon. 

I have a nice little on-point quilt to share soon, it is so darn easy using a charm pack (5" squares) or a layer cake (10inch square)The most difficult part is how you want to arrange your colors and prints.

I have ordered some really nice kits for Christmas runners, not here yet. They may not make the deadline. I will be disappointed. We will see. 

Comments

marly said…
An enlightened and complimentary post! Very nice. We are a small community that also had many ethnic clubs that shared traditions and foods.
We have two left. Families had a wonderful time at gatherings as they did with their churches and parishioners. Again, few left. As the older generations fades, so does our community.
celkalee said…
I am seeing a bit of a resurgence here. Could be the pandemic isolation has either revealed how valuable the traditions are or it has caused a new movement to start celebrations related to family and faith. I am not a philosopher, but we have felt stirrings within our families at funerals. I know, a bit morbid, but when we were all younger raising families, building careers etc. we only saw extended families at weddings, christenings etc. Then there was an overlap with funerals as grandparents and parents started to pass away. Now, it's mostly funerals! So we decided, as a group, to resume family reunions and promise to gather once a year with no funeral required! Hope things went well for you and your sister. I've been thinking about you and hoping it wasn't too stressful!