A Sunday Bonus-Yes, I read the Entire Book!

 So, here we are on a dreary Sunday afternoon considering our options. In spite of the need to do some work in the studio, I just couldn't get to it. It is cold in there and I have to buy a space heater this week. I cannot work when I am cold.

Since my new book, The Tuscan Sun Cookbook by Frances Mayes and Edward Mayes arrived yesterday, I have been glancing through it just looking for some time to sit down and study. So, a pot of tea, The English Brunch selection from Smith Tea Company, and I had a nice sit and devoured the book.

Published in 2012, it is a fantastic read, even if you don't cook! The history of their life in Tuscany, the friends they have made and how life evolves there, is enchanting. One can be transported to Italy via olive oil, zucchini blossoms, and wine. 
 
The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen by [Frances Mayes, Edward Mayes, Steven Rothfeld]Now remember that I bought this on Amazon via a used bookseller for a fraction of its face value. It was labeled as "very good." It is new. I don't think a page was ever turned. It didn't say used, very good, just very good. I suspect it was never sold. In any case, I am very happy.            
From the intro...."Lose yourself in the transporting photography of the food, the people, and the place, as Frances’s lyrical introductions and headnotes put you by her side in the kitchen and raising a glass at the table. From Antipasti (starters) to Dolci (desserts), this cookbook is organized like a traditional Italian dinner.."
Happy enough to stop, mid-book, and make the Eggplant Parmesan, yes, I did. A Tuscan style dish, the eggplant is doused with salt and olive oil, baked for 10-12 minutes then assembled in a baking dish with tomato sauce (I made this the other day with San Marzano canned tomatoes) fresh mozzarella and freshly grated  parmigiano reggiano. I crumbled some precooked Italian sausage on top before baking.   

That one will be made again. Photo's then. 
  • Now for a little context, I read this and cooked dinner during a football game. I live in Pittsburgh, we breathe sports here and our Steeler's have had a sad season. Not today my friends, I am thinking the scents of Tuscany wafting from my kitchen may have been a lucky charm. 
  • I bought the hard copy of this book. Not the Kindle edition. I have discovered that I prefer that book in hand. There is some sort of bonding when turning the pages that an onscreen edition cannot provide. 
  • If you have a passion for authentic Italian food, this one will be a winner.

Comments

marly said…
You better continue that cuisine every game.
marly said…
I just ordered that cookbook for my sister. Even splurged and bought it new!!