The Cottage Kitchen, The Quilter Prepares for the Holidays!

 

 This is Dutch Oven Bread, a rustic white loaf.

 'Tis the Season, you know what I mean? Well, as we stitch up our "little's" for gifts and stocking stuffers, many of us are baking our cookies, breads, and candies. I usually add a loaf of bread for my Thanksgiving baskets, I usually bake one day ahead of gift day. Time, always an issue at this time of year, preparation is the key to lessen our stress and provide a comforting and happy holiday experience. 

Soggy Baked Goods final CC

  • I have mentioned in prior posts that I read cook books and magazines like many people read novels. For the most part if I actually make 5 or 6 of the recipes in any given book, it's a good book! One of my favorite new reads is Milk Street. I downloaded the book on my Kindle reader because truth be told, I wanted to be sure that I liked what I saw. I have a few others downloaded that I am glad I didn't collect in print. I sort of have a feel for what I will and will not like. 

That said, as a Milk Street member, there are multiple benefits on line. One of them is the blog. One reader raised the issue about how her baked goods get "gummy" when stored in air tight plastic containers. This is the answer the reader received: 

The main challenge with storing homemade baked goods is preventing them from drying out. But airtight containers aren’t always the best solution. That’s because even inside a sealed container, the baked good is surrounded by air that draws moisture from its surface, which in turn draws out internal moisture. This can result in a gooey outer layer while drying out the inner crumb. Restricting airflow helps solve the evaporation problem.

In testing various storage methods on scones, we found that when storing them at room temperature, individually wrapping the scones tightly in plastic wrap yielded the best texture (performing slightly better than scones wrapped in foil). But even better was wrapping and freezing them. This is because freezing the water molecules locks them inside the baked item, preventing them from redistributing.

Even unwrapped frozen scones fared better than the room temperature method, wrapped or otherwise. When thawed at room temperature, individually plastic-­wrapped scones were nearly indistinguishable from freshly baked scones.

Freezing works great for storing all kinds of baked goods, including cupcakes, muffins and cookies. Just make sure to leave off the frosting, which becomes unpleasantly sticky and runny when thawed.

 

  • For quick breads I have been fortunate with this basic method. After the bread has totally cooled I wrap it loosely in parchment paper, then a plastic cling wrap. The final layer is either freezer paper or aluminum foil. Either has worked well. To defrost, remove all wrapping and loosen the first layer of parchment. No dampness.
  • Cookies, cookies, cookies, I do not mix types. I store each batch on its own. Using a large tin or even a sealed plastic container, I layer the cookies between layers of parchment. On the final layer of paper I place a paper towel to absorb any moisture that may collect on the underside of the lid.
  • Candy, I don't make candy anymore. As a child we would start making hard-tack right after Thanksgiving. We had wide marble window sills. Yes, we scrubbed that marble, put waxed paper on them and then placed the hot candy right on there. We would cut the long ribbons into bite size pieces then when cool, wrap them individually and store them in a cookie tin. I do not do that. Ever. Talk about childhood trauma, running with hot sugar streams, being careful to NOT touch the cold window. That would have been a disaster. I have made fudge in the past, MIL was our fudge maker. I am not took keen on things so sweet and husband doesn't need it. So, candy, well, head to the confectioner for a little bit for guests!     
  • Now, little apple tarts, you just eat those.


Here is a great post by Emily, of Eleven Gables, on Sugar Cookies! Beautiful.

  

Comments

marly said…
Oh that tart. Lots of excellent information and I thank you! Also reminded me that parchment paper was left off the shopping list. I used to watch Kimball on PBS but except for one tip, never used any recipes or such. Too lazy? Possibly. Probably. Yep.