House and Home, Bring Fall Into Your Kitchen!

This little wreath hangs on the door, in the kitchen, that leads downstairs. It has the best colors.  Add a pumpkin, or two, to the buffet or in a cozy corner in your kitchen. It echo's the spirit of the season. A tart warmer (back left corner) adds the scent of Fall, this one, apple cinnamon.

I am always happy with these little pip-berry garlands. I have them in several colors and wind them around pumpkins, serving dishes, and on top of cupboards and china closets.  

 Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, always has been. Since childhood when traveling to my mother's parents home for the big dinner, until now, spending the day with dear son as he cooks and entertains, it is a time of reflecting about the good things, better times, happy memories.   I am the pie maker in the family. So, Thanksgiving is my time. This year I will skip the Pecan Pie. Like most items very sweet, we are not fans and the guests who love the sweet are unable to come this year. Pumpkin is always on the menu and I am thinking an Apple Tart or Lemon Tart will substitute.  

My Fall dinner wear. If you have it, use it I say.  I picked this up at William Sonoma a couple years ago, this pattern is no longer available but similar ones still are. The only down side of this set is that the dinner plates are large and their shape, a slight fluting along the outside edge, makes them tip over in the dishwasher, therefore, they require hand washing. I really don't mind, the warm water makes my hands feel better! These go away after Thanksgiving weekend and then the Christmas dishes make their debut. A girl needs to have changes in the kitchen, right? I spend so much time there, I like to see the season, the holiday, reflected there.    Botanical Pumpkin Dinnerware Collection

This cast iron Staub pumpkin is one of my favorite pots. During the Fall season it sits on the stove top or the kitchen island because it is symbolic. Right now it is simmering a favorite bean soup. I will share the recipe soon. It is grand comfort food in cooler weather. While I didn't plan to make this today, husband came home with the ham hocks, ham and beans. So there you go. I will add some corn bread muffins as well. My recipe makes 12 so I will wrap and store half of them. They dry quickly. 

  • Some other ideas to brighten your Fall kitchen include, themed linens such as table runners, towels, place mats. Don't forget an apron themed for the season!
  • Fresh flowers, reasonable prices for these in the grocery store right now.
  • Scented candles or candle melts.

And last but not least, a lighted candle in the windows. Be they electric or battery, nothing says welcome to my home more than the flicker of a candle as a greeting.

Have a wonderful Fall weekend. Make your home a happy place, a welcoming place for friends and family. Make sure you have a little tea bread ready or frozen to share, if cookies are your signature have them at the ready as well. In this country we are blessed, share your bounty with those who have little, make memories for their families as well.  

  •  

Comments