A Tool Time Care Routine, The Cutting Mat

 Lets chat about how we care for our sewing tools. We all know that nothing, well mostly nothing, in the sewing world is inexpensive. Of course, there are ways to cut corners, so-to-speak, but lets face it, we spend a lot of money on our tools. Things wear out, sometimes we melt our cutting mats with an iron..... our sharp implements deserve respect. So here are a few little tips.

Keeping our often used tools in protected keepers is important. For example, I know of someone who returns every pair of scissors, tweezer, or seam ripper to its original packaging after use. I know, there are sewing saints!

I keep the small sharp implements in that little silicone keeper now. It works well for my little Famore scissors and tweezers, Marking pens and chalk points are protected. I even tuck often used sewing machine feet in there, such as my 1/4 inch foot, the clear plastic single hole presser foot, and my point turner. . Before they were stacked here and there and often unceremoniously stored in an IKEA wooden box. Sinful. 

 
One really important task in the sewing space is the care of our cutting mats! I am actually on my third set of mats in my sewing life. One, as mentioned above, was accidentally melted on one end by my iron. I was distracted. I cut that part out and made two smaller mats for stations near my iron and one near the serger. Another was assaulted by a teenaged son and a box cutter carving up a piece of leather for his hunting bow. I was not happy, bless his heart, he bought me two full size mats that cover my entire cutting table as a "sorry." Those are still in use to this day. 32 years later. 

Now, the issue is, do I clean them? I do wipe them down and brush those areas with lint build up but I recently saw this information that I wanted to share. 

  • Of course, we cover all our machines after the day. 
  • We scan the floor for pins, needles, scissors  etc.
  • We make sure everything is turned off and/or unplugged. 
  • I try to set up the work for the next sewing session. I often put little sticky notes on piles of cut blocks or folded fabric. 
  • I do like to see a rainbow of thread colors on the little wooden peg racks but I fear the dust. They have all been moved to little plastic drawers in stacked towers. They are protected against light and dust there. 
  • I have my machine embroidery hoops hanging on hooks now and plan to make a holder in the near future. I fear warping. 
  •  I empty the trash after every session because my little four legged helper just loves to chew on fabric scraps, stabilizer, and paper.  


Comments