A Glimpse of a New Direction, Sewtopia Returns to Garment Making!

The last of the Fall color, it was brief this year. Now is the time to get serious about some sewing!

My trusty stand-alone cover stitch machine is standing by for the next project. I have mentioned recently that Sewtopia is going to become more diverse, not abandoning quilting by any means, but to cover more of my favorite types of sewing. By consolidating the many genre's of creative path, I hope to inspire you to branch out, to experiment, to learn some new skills. I will dabble. We will see if I still "have it!" It has been 25-30 years since I seriously made my own clothes, worked on my tailoring skills!
 

This machine was only one of several I tested. Of course, my primary serger, the Baby Lock Ovation, converts to a cover stitch. I prefer not to stop one process to start another, then return to the original process. I have limited patience these days! The threading is easy, the stitch quality is excellent, and the price was right. 

Fashion, garment construction, wearable art are front and center in many quilt magazines. Totes and handbags, children's clothing and night wear, as well as aprons, skirts, etc for adults.  As quilters and sewists, we know that any fabric has the ability to be many things.  Recent use of quilt fabrics in clothing supports my premise that a beautiful fabric, no matter what its marketing purpose, can have multiple uses. 

In 2011 an accomplished sewist, who had been inactive for some time, made a decision to return to garment sewing, stop buying RTW and designer clothing. And did she ever. By creating Goodbye Valentino, She created a movement in the sewing world. The RTW fast was born.  I just had to revisit her work because it clearly illustrates just how dedicated a sewist can be. Sarah Gunn has set a high standard and lofty goal for those who follow her work. In her first year she made 64 garments! She wrote a book, she traveled teaching. I am in awe. Let me just state clearly, she would look good in anything, from adesigner gown to a burlap sack, Sarah could rock it! Visit her blog, her creations, and her daily outfit HERE!

I have absolutely no intention or illusion of her skill or design sense, this is not how I live, not my lifestyle, but let me tell you, she is an inspiration.  I have gathered some patterns for 3/4 and long sleeve tops. By then, my comfy pants, will have given up as well. That pattern is still on the horizon somewhere.

 Fran Knit Top Sewing Pattern By Style Arc - Great basic layering piece with a point of difference


 This is Style Arc Fran. It will be my first muslin for this project. I have some nice knits, in colors that are not really my favorites, but it will be a great test. Why I chose this pattern:

  • 3/4 sleeve, dropped shoulder. For me, in my day-to-day life, comfort is important. A 3/4 sleeve works well for tasks. Function is also essential for dog walking, cooking, etc.
  •  A non-restrictive armsyce is also important for a non-binding reach. When working on my long-arm sewing machine, I need to reach a distance to turn rollers and advance the fabrics as well as operate the machine. 
  • The tunic length with a split hem is a good look for me and versatile for the same reasons. 
  • This is considered easy, my name is all over it!

New blog roll:

Sunny Gal Studio, HERE.

Lilacs and Lace, HERE.

House of Pinhiero, HERE. 

Creating in the Gap, HERE.

Madalynne Intimates, HERE. 

Many of the original blogs I followed on garment making are no longer in service. Many just "dropped off" with no goodbye. Many have changed their format to subscription service with fees. Others, really good ones, post intermittently or rarely. I will link to those when the subject matter suits the topic. 

I will follow these new ones for a while to see if they suit my purpose. 

Comments