Navigating in These Times, The Creative Persons Perspective

 

So here we are, Covid limited, and trying to find a way to navigate our world, our personal lives. I suspect I am not alone in trying to make the most of each day despite our limitations. Just when we think there may be light at the end of the tunnel, something changes. My answer to this is to audition new daily rituals to lighten the emotional toll of restrictions, quarantine, and the approaching long darkening days of Winter. Time to shake up the routines a bit, here are some ideas!

For the sewist, there is always something we can work on but often, like me, one hits a dry spell. Not really in creativity just in motivation. 

I recently listed some observations in my journal that helped me move on in the past when the blank times loom. Here are a few:

  1. Some time with Mother Nature. To me, nothing provides more enlightenment that a stroll in the garden. I hesitate these days to venture into the woods. We have so many deer, ticks are everywhere. No thank you. So, I stroll the lawn parts and make sure to watch and photograph trees  changing, lichen growing on fallen branches, and the squirrel colonies scampering away as I approach. 
  2. Reading cook books. Like a novel by a favored author, I inspect the ingredients as though a treasure map has unfolded before me. Interestingly, a visitor noticed a Jacque' Pepin cookbook on my dining room table with my tablet and pen nearby and remarked that he and his wife were also fans of this chef. We spent the next 15 minutes talking recipes instead of business. A kindred spirit when one least expects it. 
  3. Stepping out of my typical viewing habit to experience a Danish (subtitled or dubbed, you can choose) political drama. I have actually learned a bit about their parlimentary democracy. VERY interesting. 
  4. Grocery Shopping. Try a market different from your usual. Venture into a different neighborhood or district. I have 5 different grocery stores under the same name within 25 minutes of my house. It was sort of fun scanning the aisles and noting how differently each store stocks their selection. 
  5. Shop your Home. Now, for me that has been a necessity because somebody here gave away my furniture. Mmmm. While I am not up to a big re-do there are ways to retain function in one living space while considering what to do with the other, more formal area. Move a sofa here, switch out chairs and lamps there, move this table etc. You get the idea. My one exception is I will not move furniture from one floor to another. Did that a couple months ago when moving a sewing machine and cabinet upstairs. No more of that.      
 
  • Life changes, time marches on, finding your path is essential, pandemic or not.
  • In my area there are some Quilt Shows opening this weekend, can't wait!
  • The abundance of fresh vegetables in the markets inspire me. Soon here and on Kitchen Chronicles I will share a broccoli salad recipe that I have tested at least 20 times, yes, it is that good!

Comments

marly said…
Anxious to see that recipe. Anything that may mask a stinky veggie is worth a go.