The Cottage Kitchen: July 2021-Macaroni and Cheese, no baking required!


Here at our little haven a small skirmish has been ongoing for years. About what you ask? mac and cheese, can you imagine? I have tried at least 12 different recipes over the last 6 months and it still was not "just right." (said the peanut gallery) Their point of comparison is some glutenous stuff that they used to get in a can and take camping, (yuk) and the ever popular in the fraternity favorite, Stouffers. I know, what a challenge. 

So, I have been playing with simple ingredients, one cheese, that's it. And by jove,  Ollie, I think we have it now! Kids like it, adults like it, even the pickiest person I know likes it. And trust me, if it wasn't exactly correct I would be told about it. That said, if you like fancy mac and cheese, this may not suit your palate.

 

BASIC MACARONI AND CHEESE

3 cups of pre-cooked and drained elbow macaroni, al dente is a swear word here, I have to add about 3 minutes cooking time for this crew.

 3 Tablespoons butter

3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire  sauce

1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika

2 cups milk

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese  

salt and pepper to taste

-cook pasta as directed, drain, set aside

-measure milk into cup, add mustard powder, worcheshire sauce and paprika, stir until combined

-in a heavy bottom sauce pan or deep non-stick skillet, melt butter, when it just starts to bubble, add flour all at once and stir constantly with a wisk or rubber spatula to cook off the raw flour taste. Only takes about a minute or so, then slowly add the milk mixture. 

-on a medium heat, continue stirring constantly until the mix mixture just starts to thicken.

-stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. stir until combined and the cheese begins to melt.

-turn off heat, and keep stirring to make the sauce smooth then add the macaroni. 

-combine macaroni and cheese sauce well, let it sit for 5 minutes, then serve.

I know, there should be a warning sign here because the whole deal only takes about 15 minutes. Now I need to add that sometimes I need to add a little more milk because the shredded cheese is a bit dry. Just a bit, maybe 1/4 of a cup. 

You can bake this if you wish. If that is your choice add a bit more milk or it will dry out. At 300 degrees, 20-30 minutes should work just fine to get a crispy edge on your pan or dish.     

If you don't have dry mustard powder, a 1/2 teaspoon scoop of Dijon or any other would be OK too. 

I also sprinkle a little more paprika on top, makes it pretty!

*disclaimer, not my photo, they ate it all before I could get my camera!

  

 

 

 

 

Comments