Why? Why Do You Do What You Do? Sewing? Quilting? Embroidery?

 

I've been in an abyss of  sorts. I've lost my incentives to sew, quilt, etc. I have reasons that seem to define the scenario. I don't need more quilts, I don't feel like gifting any right now, I hate the rush, the rush to completion, the rush to finish. I am done with that. I came to this conclusion when I realized that I am far behind on a project, start, stop, start, stop. Now I think I understand why. I don't want to make any more of that particular quilt block. I didn't before, I haven't for the last several months, and I sure don't now. 

I want to take my time, enjoy a challenge for me. I want to see what I can accomplish on my own just like I did when I started the whole quilting journey. I started sewing my own clothes when I was nine. I had to. I was excited and thrilled with my accomplishments, even though my fledgling skills were quite evident. But I was determined, I mean really driven. I did it, for a long time until it was no long a thrill to finish, an accomplishment to file away in my portfolio of skills. When I stopped I was in my 5th decade. 

Then I discovered, well rediscovered, the thrill of cutting up little pieces of fabric, putting them back together, while building a symmetrical geometric design. I learned I was a centrist, and required balance for the design to appeal to me. I learned that I was color challenged, I found wonderful friends with like creative desires. I learned that this was an activity that often elevated itself when shared in a group and with others. I learned that the restless desire to build, to build quilts, started to wane just as garment sewing had. 

In my professional life I changed jobs within my skill set and within my professional license boundaries about every 5 years. I was bored. I needed that "start all over again" feeling, much like the first day of school where the horizon is just out of sight, ready to be approached if only the pace and determination can be maintained.    

When I saw these outstanding pieces of art I am in awe of the skill and patience required to do this kind of work! 

 

 No photo description available.I have resumed some hand work, no, no, not these amazing examples, just some simple cross-stitch. I enjoy it, but the bug, the passion, the drive escapes me. Just blah!

Imagine how thrilled I was today when this video, by Cathy Hay, (just love her) spoke to me, It is my esthetic right now. I will finish up some little projects currently in queue, I will not promise gifts that I really don't feel like making, then I will move on. I am not sure where or how or when but I am changing how I approach my work. Much like writers block, I have to work that out. But this I know, I will keep looking. I just got bitten by watercolor botanical sketching. I know, don't say it. I have to try, I am not sure what I am doing but there has to be a You Tube video for that, right?

Cathy explains her process, HERE! why she sews "slow" and why that is important to her.

  

This abyss, just what is down there to explore?

Comments