The Prelude to Welcome May!

 I am not sure why this year seems to be moving along more quickly than some others. (2020 cannot be included in this analysis!) May is such a beautiful month. The Fall months used to be my favorite, the colors, the scents, the promise of a new school year, opportunities. While much of that I still adore, Spring is probably my favorite now. Watching the world awaken after the dark, cold, dreary nesting months is like a shot of adrenaline. The greens of Spring only last a few weeks while the tree bark is so dark, the contrast is stunning. Little blooms popping from tree branches, bulbs forcing their way through the soil and the wild life, nesting, scurrying, chirping. Like this little guy, you just can't ignore the beauty. 

May is a busy month. The annual post Winter clean up. Sorting out the porches, cleaning up the flower beds, planning for new gardens, not much time for long-term sewing projects. 

May means preparing for the end-of-month holiday, Memorial Day. The first in the Summer triumvirate. That means sewing some fresh new decor for picnics. I usually keep my patriotic theme going all Summer. I unearthed my buntings and they are looking a bit shabby. I may tea dye them. Or pick up new. Not sure about that.  

I popped this quilt back on the front porch, on the black rocker again. It is shaded there and has not faded yet. It is one of those projects that I have no great attachment to and has seen some better days along the binding edge, so a great porch quilt. 

 10 Best FLICKERING CANDLES ideas | candles, flickering candles, memorial  candleI will be using a faux-flame candle, no open flames here.

I just read a timely article by Cathy Hay. (seamstress extraordinaire, costumer, UK) She relayed a story by a friend who described his process for his craft when time was limited. By not making time for our creative interests, we are not being true to who we are. Our passions are part of our personality and to deny that, for what ever reason, does not do justice to your life. I agree. Essentially, for the last several years, for many reasons, my personal passions have been on the back burner, waiting for little snippets of time just for me. I am going to change that by employing the methods Cathy discussed. 

Like any new habit, time to develop and practice it is required. A ritual of sorts needs to be in place to actually permit ourselves to follow our passions. Whether that is sewing, quilting, beading, painting, whatever,  you are allowed to take some time for yourself!

Developing the Ritual. Cathy's friend lives in the mountains of Colorado. He builds a fire using materials that have specific meaning to him. Trust me, there will be no fires in the Sewtopia studio but I have some ideas. More on that later, I need to practice. In essence, after one completes a brief "ritual" the creative process begins, flows. Ok, we will work on that.  

 

justequotes.com: William Henry Channing | Great quotes about life, Pretty  words, Piano quotesWilliam Henry Channing was an enlightened man for his time, Read about him HERE.

  • I am watching PBS Atlantic Crossing, a powerful story.
  • I am reading Every Day Faith for Daily Life by Jan White, charming personal stories that define human nature and lessons for living, free digital download on Kindle Unlimited or available on Amazon.
  • I am making sauerkraut, again. More on that in a couple weeks. I just did the every-other-day tamp down. Yes, we have fermentation.    

  


Comments