Just a Conversation About Thread

 An older collection of threads, still mostly intact, on cardboard tubes. Pretty, nice to look at, not too good to use.

 

Mending the Red, White, and Blue items for the Summer. 

Thread, so much recent discussion on thread lately. One lady on my garment sewing page was thrilled to inherit many spools of cotton thread. She said the colors seem a bit faded but would it be reasonable to use for constructing seams? The universal response was, NO! I noticed when sorting through MIL's collection, mostly from the 1950's and 1960's even the polyester and cotton/poly blends were brittle. The quality of poly threads has improved greatly over the last few decades. 

Sadly, this last year has seen so many specialty shops close in the NYC garment district.  Special threads, laces, embroideries, buttons and trims have disappeared. 

These little Chick feeder pin cushion/thread holders are one of my favorite little gadgets. I saw one on a blog, years ago, and copied it. I have them sitting in strategic places for sit down sewing. They aren't too good for traveling because small spools slide down into the little holes! I bought the feeders at Tractor Supply. Now they also have them in plastic, not my style. If I need to mend something I fill the holes with the threads, take it to my chair and good to go.

A collection of  metal threads from the stockpiles of post-WW2 Tinsel Trading Company. Their website HERE! So much cool stuff! Mary Corbet, a stitcher of amazing talent, recently addressed the "twist" in her threads and how to handle that, HERE! Now, I must say it might be a bit excessive in my realm, I tend to just give it all a light steam press with a press cloth. I am in no way expert as she is.  

  • I hope this conversation isn't too dull. I am experiencing a bit of a blank today. 
  • Thread, of course, is the lifeblood of our craft.
  • Have a wonderful day, be thankful for thread, if we didn't have thread we would have to use glue.😁

Comments