Some Littles for the New Year, An Apron for Tea!

 

As we are approaching almost a year of isolation, I have been sorting through odds and ends in the studio. I found a couple red aprons, from the 1990's that needed a bit of work. Soooo, with that famous poly-blend red and white check fabric inherited from MIL a couple decades ago, we have a pocket. This one has three divisions. I usually have my phone with me and it is heavy when it hangs around my neck and tends to shift in the pocket. That makes me more crooked that I already am! So, on this one I made a center pocket for the phone. Process is easy. I cut the fabric measured to the apron front, I double the width, fold it in half, right sides together. I sew around all the cut edges, leaving a 4 inch gap for turning. Trim the corners, turn, press. I try it on for placement then pin to secure the corners and middle, stitch all around, two times 1/2 inch apart, double stitch the corners for security. Ta-Da!

Cook Book of the Month, Milk Street Cookbook, Christopher Kimball. If you haven't see this program you will be thrilled. While traveling the world and experiencing multiple cuisines, Chris and his crew have brought home some absolutely amazing recipes, adjusted for the American palate and products available. I am finding several that I will try soon. #1 is the Ragu, available in hardcover and transferable to your reader or computer. *Chris used to be the host of Cooks Country. The producers want to change things up a bit and did not renew his contract saying he was getting too old for his job and their vision. Well, He showed them, he started his own show with an totally new format and new focus. Bully for him!

Taking an idea from a quilty friend, I ran three rows of decorative stitches across the top, a small stipple actually. It has no purpose, of course, just adds a bit of interest. The apron is a dense weave, poly-cotton blend. It stitches out well.    

Sometimes it is just fun to embellish a ready made apron, towel, or shirt with all those decorative stitches on our machines. I often use a scrap fabric and run through the stitches just to give them a bit of a work-out. I have no idea if that has any value but it also reminds me of just what is available!

Still in the kitchen, Jenny of Elefantz, HERE, has a sweet little idea for her tea towels. Every January she replaces all her kitchen towels, here is a tutorial on her project.  It is the rainy season in Austrailia and living in the tropics, she keeps busy with great little embroidery projects and keeping a simple home. Soon, she will be offering an online magazine subscription, I'm looking forward to that. 

ELEFANTZ snowball block bulk 

  • I plan to scan the webs again for ready made aprons, towels, etc. In recent years there are more sellers but finding quality merchandise is a bit tricky. Lots of poorly constructed pieces and ratty fabrics abound. I will update if I find something worth the investment....and if you even use such items. I am an apron girl, have been for many years. 
  • I am trying to decide if I will make new window coverings for the newly done kitchen. I like the blinds-only look I have right now but with time I know I will want to hang something! Of course the young people scoff at this, call it "Granny." Mmmm, how do you feel about issues like this?
  • Waiting for the Covid vaccine here, still. Until then I remain sequestered. I need a good retail experience, know what I mean?

Comments

marly said…
Those three decorative rows, I always prefer interest over purpose.

If I am in a retailer with few shoppers, I still can't enjoy browsing because the mask is choking me. I may order one of those silicone forms to hold them away, may help.
celkalee said…
Mmmm, there is a pattern out there, somewhere that when constructed forms a bit of a cone, I'll see if I can find it.

QVC had some made by some people who make back paks, will check there too. Take care.
ELMO said…
Retail is good, I want to go to Eygpt. Maybe need to do a bit of armchair traveling.