Schoolgirl Sampler Quilts

Planning for January, The Kathleen Tracy Shoolgirl Sampler Quilt. I will be trying to keep all the bits and pieces in one storage bin. Otherwise, things get misplaced and having it all in one place makes it much more portable. I will be having the book spiral bound as well.

First, I auditioned these dark blues, blacks and off-whites. Nice fabric. Beautiful fabric, but that is not it! I need some happier colors, something that reminds me of the mid-1800's.



This drawer is full of Jelly Rolls that I picked up, on sale, over the last couple years.
A collection of scraps that have not yet been sorted, cut, and put in their places. Nothing here works for me.

This is the box I was looking for. I was sure that the collection I wanted was in here.
Well, no. I found the book, the two yardage pieces that I planned for borders and backing but where are the fat quarters? The Jelly Rolls? Still don't know for sure, another of life's great mysteries.
Now this collection, The Richmond Reds, this is more like it!

Since the blocks all finish at 4 1/2 inches, these 5 inch charm pack squares will work!



I will keep this yardage for something.
And these off-whites in tiny prints for background. I think we have it Ollie!
  • Kathy's post to sort out some instructions, HERE. 
  • I reserve the right to change my mind if I find the other (lost) fabrics :)
  • I will play around with some blocks this week, if time permits. I will hand stitch these. I am hoping for better control of all the little pieces, wish me luck!  
  • This is a mending Monday, first of the month. I have two pair of PJ bottoms that need new elastic. This is a tedious job for me but whatever elastic was used in these was either old or inferior. Because they are in an enclosed and serged casing, I will cut that off, serge new elastic to the cut edge and then fold over and cover-stitch it down. I also have one knit PJ top that is so darn big in the neckline and shoulders that I will take it apart, take it in and put it back together. It is much too chilly to have my neck and upper chest exposed! 

Comments