2020 In The Rearview Mirror, Thank Heavens!

 

As I write this the snow is falling, again. It is pretty if you don't need to drive. I am trying to enjoy the beauty. Last night, as I listened to the little ice pellets hitting the window sill, it was hard to dismiss the distress of the woodland creatures. While the deer had apparently bedded down for the night judging by all the little eyes staring at me from the edge of the back woods, the coyote pack was yipping and howling as they ran behind the barn and down to the creek. There are many of them. I admit that during these times I am a bit fearful for my Lola. We are so careful to keep her leashed but just the other day she slipped by one of the workmen and went for a romp in the snow. God love him, he caught her. 

A little bit of Christmas on a bedside table. That little crocheted tree was a gift from my Dear Aunt Jean. An expert seamstress, knitter, crocheter, etc. she is with me in spirit with that little tree.

So the end of 2020, in spirit, is a good thing, we are all trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, right? How does that translate for you? Do you set resolutions for your personal life or creative adventures? Are you in the perpetual limbo state many of us are experiencing because of the virus? In any way, do what you can to think beyond the current distress. We will see the end of this no matter what the doomsday reports say. 

The last Christmas in this kitchen, believe it or not, if I had not already signed the contracts I would not do it. I hate the disruption and bedlam involved in a project like this. This is the little tree I had for my MIL, in the home. 

The popularity of Block-of-the-Month projects is back. So many online retailers are offering their designs and the enthusiasm that accompanies it. Several local shops here are also sponsoring similar projects. I have a couple, from years ago, that I want to finish. I also am going to start the Kathy Tracy project, Schoolgirl Sampler, too. Again, little blocks and we know how I struggle with that!

Christmas Eve Spinach Ravioli, I was on a roll. Literally!
 

I did manage to finish this apron before the workmen cut through the wires in the wall and blew all my circuits, shot flames out of the wall, and ran away like the fools they were. (that was not nice, oh well.)

I made cookies too! I cheated! Husband bought the cookie dough, I did roll it out, I did bake them, I did eat a few. After all, it is Christmas! This was before the sparks flew.

After the kitchen is done, hopefully by the end of January, I will have major cleaning to do. No matter how hard you try, there is dust, lots of dust. It gets into every little crack. So, February will be a no-go for me as far as projects go. 

One more little tree, white goose feather with mini-Hallmark ornaments all bought by my boys when they were little.

And Lola Bean says Happy New Year, she is worn out. Too much excitement, too much food, hoping for a nice, calm, 2021!

How we spend our days without question is how we live our lives. Annie Dillard could not have been more accurate which is why when I peruse back through the posts of 2020, nearly each post is tied to a lifestyle theme in one way or another – what we cook, how we dress, how we connect with others, understand ourselves, how we engage with the world, care for Mother Earth and take in new knowledge. Each address a way of living which feeds our entire lives.
 

 

Comments

marly said…
Nice to see a photo of Lola. We had coyote hunters in this neighborhood several years ago and although saddened, I know what they do to our fawns in order to survive. Quick death is something I can accept more than terrified suffering.

Hope you'll share your project when completed and dust has settled! We didn't think about covering our cold air returns with filters and it just circulated throughout.

Years ago we made the small ravioli in those little molds and they were so tender and delicious. Moved to adding the filling to large shells, much easier!

Happy and healthy new year to you and family.